Handling your dry fert powders??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by tko187, 11 Jul 2008.

1. tko187

tko187 Member

I seen the caution signs but what would happen if you didnt wear gloves and some got on your hands?? Any experiences??

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Each one would hve their own reactions, maybe irritant, erosive etc. Just wash your hands thoroughly.

3. tko187

tko187 Member

Thanks wasnt sure, i did get some on a couple of hours ago and my hands still irritant. As long as my hands dont fall off im cool with it!

4. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

None of them will hurt your hands or skin unless you are allergic to them. This is how they are stored. lol and I used to scoop tit into bags when I worked there with my bare hands to take home. lol. I think its safe to say that they can't be too harmful to inhale either (used to be a wind trap this bay)

K2SO4.jpg

Incidentally this is how your dry/play sand is stored!!!
    Dry_Sand.jpg

Andy

5. tko187

tko187 Member

Hey thats crazy and there i was trying not to touch the damn stuff!! Thanks for that, where did you work by the way??

6. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

As Andy indicated, touching KNO3 or KH2PO4 is like touching table salt. We need to stop thinking of these dry powders as toxic chemicals and instead see them as food. When we change this mind set and eliminate our fear we will have an easier time growing plants.

Cheers,

7. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

Can't say where I worked so I don't get into trouble for nicking what amounts to a few pennies worth of product (£25 from AE or Garden Centres. lol)

Needless to say it is a fertiliser manufacturing company in the town I live. Very well known.

Andy

8. tko187

tko187 Member

Got ya, no probs, i was just wondering what kind of business it was.

9. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

it wont hurt you at all :) itll just mean that you wont get GSA on your hands!