• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard Water Line

geaves

Apologies if this is in the wrong place :oops: Essex has very hard water, when I moved into our current house I had a water softener fitted, consequently the only 2 taps that draw mains water are the kitchen and the outside garden tap.

I usually use the kitchen tap for tank filling, however on an open glass tank I get a lime scale line (which I assume is calcium carbonate) form at the water line, currently I have to keep this removed twice a day and use a soft algae cloth and my finger nail for any stubborn bits to remove it. Would a magnetic style algae cleaner for glass tanks be just as effective, or is there another way of keeping this under control.

Geoff

it will always happen in open top tanks and its such a pain i invested in a TMC auto top up pump, as the water level never goes down it does cause water lines. Not really practical with smaller tanks though, just top up as often as possible and scrub on WC day.

Any acid will dissolve calcium carbonate. The stronger the acid, the faster it will dissolve. Vinegar (ascetic acid) or lemon/lime/orange juice (citric acid) are weak, non-toxic acids that will do the trick. Strong acids such as pool acid (typically Muriatic AKA hydrochloric acid) or pH Down, which is most likely Sulphuric acid, or even Phosphoric acid found in Coca Cola can also be used with probably greater effectiveness.

Cheers,

i use vinegar... does the trick. and smells like fish n chips ;)

ceg4048 said:
Any acid will dissolve calcium carbonate. The stronger the acid, the faster it will dissolve. Vinegar (ascetic acid) or lemon/lime/orange juice (citric acid) are weak, non-toxic acids that will do the trick. Strong acids such as pool acid (typically Muriatic AKA hydrochloric acid) or pH Down, which is most likely Sulphuric acid, or even Phosphoric acid found in Coca Cola can also be used with probably greater effectiveness.

Cheers,

Thought about lemon juice as that is what we have to use in the kettle.....so I'll give it a go...thx.

Geoff

Hi Luis,
Ironically, this is the only valuable use for pH Down. Do not use it for anything else.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi Luis,
Ironically, this is the only valuable use for pH Down. Do not use it for anything else.

Cheers,

Cos the pH will bounce right back at ya right ?

ceg4048 said:
Hi Luis,

Cheers,

Yep, I never thought of using it, i don't even know what is the ph of my water.. :) as long as I have CO2 and plenty of ferts the fish and plants are happy.

Now I am worried a bit about TDS, as it is at about 600, so started to do WC with RO water. :)

But if ph down cleans tanks then it is a good product, and safer than most commercial products.

I was soaking my pipes on a diluted bleach solution and then soak again for 24 hours on water.

Using pH down would be a safer product to use.

Another great tip from you mate, thanks.

Back