• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape Idea

Tom72

Hi Folks, I have been thinking about a river bed idea for my 50x25x30cms 37.5 ltr tank. I hope to have a twinstar 450sa, CO2 injection and oase 100 external thermo. I plan to bed the rocks in tropica soil and plant into all the nooks an crannies. I will reuse some of the sand I already have in the tank after a good clean and the filter is already established. So I will be needing to set up quickly and have everything ready to set up and return the existing critters, shoal of galaxy danio/rasbora, some amano’s and 3 nerite snails. All suggestions for a quick transfer and planting ideas are very welcome.
EDC051C2-DF4C-473F-A2DA-8197ADB36219.jpeg

Attachments

• 2325A7D1-D1EB-424C-B989-D6A4046EC94F.jpeg
    2325A7D1-D1EB-424C-B989-D6A4046EC94F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 159
  • 4AE401D9-0732-4D9D-9B9B-52372624A6A6.jpeg
    4AE401D9-0732-4D9D-9B9B-52372624A6A6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 183
I love your stones! The wood however is a little distracting because it appears you have two different types of wood. The colors and shape don’t match. It’s not a requirement, but can look more natural when the wood looks similar. I think the rocks are perfect though.

I think it looks great - it gives the appearance of lots of depth. I actually like the contrasting woods, as it makes them look like they have dropped naturally in the 'stream', and they'll go a similar colour once wet anyway. What wood is the twiggy branch?

If you want to move your critters over quickly, don't bother with the Tropica Aquasoil as it can take a week or two to stop leaching ammonia. I'd just use your existing sand, mixed/capped with fresh sand if you need more as that will already be biologically mature if its being used in an existing set-up, and just push in some root tabs where you think you will be placing plants before you add the rocks on top.

That’s a good tip for the soil, thanks. I agree the wood is not that important, besides I hope they will be covered in epiphytic plants, so it won’t be important anyway. If I use the existing substrate I would worry about gas build up, or do you think that would be ok?

That’s a good tip for the soil, thanks. I agree the wood is not that important, besides I hope they will be covered in epiphytic plants, so it won’t be important anyway. If I use the existing substrate I would worry about gas build up, or do you think that would be ok?

I believe the gas build up theory has now been largely debunked as one of the numerous long standing aquarium myths. There is some discussion on it in my Sand substrate thread here: Sand substrate recommendations . . .

So in short, I think you'd be fine. If you're still concerned, you could always put down a base layer of crushed lava rock, and put you existing sand over the top.

Back