• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape Positioning

Superman

Laides and gentlemen...

My first attempt at a trial aquascape for my Juwel Vision 180 and would appreciate people's thoughts and opinions.

I'm trying to work on wood and rocks to create a two tired area to mix up the small/carpet plants with the larger leaves being in the middle of the rocks/wood etc etc.

Plus I really need to have wood to provide for my BN Plec or (if I decide to trade) a group of Ottos.

I've marked out the layout of my tank in the kitchen, played around with the rocks and wood to create the picture below.

The idea for what I've done is this...

The wood would provide a place for my catfish to rest/hide. The ferns that I'm planning on putting on the "branches" of the trees would provide an over hang on the rocks to the far left.
Then there's the overhang provided by the largest rock.
The gravel will be higher around the wood and thats why I've lifted it up on a box.
I've put eveyrthing on the left so that nothing blocks the internal filter on the right and provides swimming space for the fish.

2008-04-06002.jpg

Nice rocks! ;)

in my uneducated opion, I think the rocks look a little too much like they are circling the wood. Have you thought about maybe moving the middle front rock to the right, nestled to the base of that nice long bit? This would also give a nice "path" from the tree down which could be planted with some nice carpeting plant and give some nice height differences.

Is the rock on the far left sloping upwards and away from the front? What if you turn that 90 deg right to emulate the angle of the long bit on the right?

Not sure if those ideas would work but my 2p worth :)

Alright Clark, If I where you I would firstly look at the wood and find a position that looks most aesthetically pleasing, then layout your rocks to fit into a flow, angles all one way, nice composition. From there, slot the wood into a position that makes it look as though the wood is bursting through the gravel and out over the rocks, your rocks are good already just keep playing with the wood till you have a good effect.

Garuf said:
Alright Clark, If I where you I would firstly look at the wood and find a position that looks most aesthetically pleasing, then layout your rocks to fit into a flow, angles all one way, nice composition. From there, slot the wood into a position that makes it look as though the wood is bursting through the gravel and out over the rocks, your rocks are good already just keep playing with the wood till you have a good effect.

Understand your points, at the minute the wood goes at a totally different angle to the way in which the rocks go.

I'll play with my wood later tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Superman said:
Garuf said:

Understand your points, at the minute the wood goes at a totally different angle to the way in which the rocks go.

I'll play with my wood later tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Don't play with it too much, you'll go blind! ;)

True words, my new scape is the same wood as my old, just sawn in half.

It will take time to get a hardscape your happy with. The fact that your playing with composition before you even put anything in the tank shows a wise mans way of aquascaping.
When setting up rocks and wood. Look at where you rocks point, if they look top heavy or are in to mcu of an un-natural symetrical lines etc. Same goes for your wood.
Look to create differant hights and differant depths of fields, ie stages of facal objects and various possistions from front to back.

Happy aquascaping.
Graeme.

Make sure you don't drop that big one!! :wideyed: thats my best tip!!!! :lol:

Edit: joking mate, I would seriously consider putting something underneath the larger rocks to cushion them from the glass.

Looking good, just one criticism really, the end of the branches are obviously sawn off. Are you planning to put moss on the wood? I can't remember... If you aren't I would rough up the edges a bit, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Good luck!

I like the new hardscape best but the rocks are obviously wrong to my eyes. maybe have them opposing the wood? without having a fiddle with the actual resources I can't figure out how to use them best.

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Looking good, just one criticism really, the end of the branches are obviously sawn off. Are you planning to put moss on the wood? I can't remember... If you aren't I would rough up the edges a bit, but that's just my own personal opinion.

I am planning on having moss just not got round to ordering any!

Garuf said:
I like the new hardscape best but the rocks are obviously wrong to my eyes. maybe have them opposing the wood? without having a fiddle with the actual resources I can't figure out how to use them best.

Opposing the wood? Don't follow you?

opposing like this, sorry I could have made that much clearer.
23014260nc5.png

Back