• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Harlequin Rasbora spawning behaviour

BarryH

Please excuse my lack of tropical knowledge, I'm more used to coldwater tanks. I have a tank of Harlequin Rasboras and over the last couple of days I've watched them spawning, something new to me.

I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube and seen them spawn on the underside of leaves. Unfortunately I have no leaves as such in the tank and they've been performing their upside down routines on the roots of Frogbit. I have to say when I first spotted them I thought they were ill. The eggs on each occasion have been quickly gobbled up by the other Harlequins in the tank.

Is the spawning behaviour something that happens all the time? Any help would be most welcome.

Happy fish breed. It shows they are in good condition. With harlequins it can happen nearly daily if you have a decent sized group.

If you have a densely planted tank then a few may make it to adulthood but they tend to be cannabalistic as they show no parental care. You can increase your chances by adding lots of moss or dense plants, breed them in another tank, or just enjoy the natural behaviour.

Happy fish breed. It shows they are in good condition. With harlequins it can happen nearly daily if you have a decent sized group.

If you have a densely planted tank then a few may make it to adulthood but they tend to be cannabalistic as they show no parental care. You can increase your chances by adding lots of moss or dense plants, breed them in another tank, or just enjoy the natural behaviour.
Brilliant. Thanks for the help Mort, really appreciated.

Of you're quick, you might be able to get some of the frogbit out with eggs still attached and hatch them in a separate tank, or even a breeding trap. You will need to start an infusoria culture so it's ready to feed them when they first become free-swimming. Some people find the liquid foods you can buy OK, but I haven't given them a proper try myself.

Of you're quick, you might be able to get some of the frogbit out with eggs still attached and hatch them in a separate tank, or even a breeding trap. You will need to start an infusoria culture so it's ready to feed them when they first become free-swimming. Some people find the liquid foods you can buy OK, but I haven't given them a proper try myself.
Thanks for the tip Sparky, really appreciated. I'll get some bits together and give it a try. Never tried an infusoria culture so that'll be something new.

Back