• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Harry's Mangrove Nano

Ok guys, so you might remember my previous tank 'Nature's River'. After lots of neglect and poor maintenance the tank got into a very bad state. Algae took over and my plants started to rot leaving me with a brown tank. Also my lights failed a few weeks back meaning the plants had no light at all. After all this happening and finally being able to fix the lights i decided to fully rescape the tank. I began removing the plants and wood etc. After cleaning the wood and running the amazonia through water for a good couple of hours i made a new scape. I call this scape 'The Mangrove' due to the way the wood and the rocks combine to form a mangrove habitat. I had the tank running for a couple of weeks with no plants in it and today i finally got some. I chose one species of plant, it being 'Microsorum pteropus'. I chose this because i love the bright green long leaves of the plant and i also like how it is easy to grow and doesn't demand much. With this tank containing only the narrow fern i would like to know how much TPN+ i should dose and if i should dose it at all with it being such a low demanding plant. As always, here are the pictures. Cheers. :thumbup:

**EDIT Sorry didn't notice i posted some duplicate pictures. All of them are there now :facepalm:

The tank in situ
8492256161_512daf9819_z.jpg
FULL SHOT by Harry.R, on Flickr

FTS (sorry for the pipes and reflections on the sides of the glass)
8492251405_561c4b60a4_z.jpg
FTS by Harry.R, on Flickr

From the left
8493347574_550ccdc36c_z.jpg
LEFT TO RIGHT by Harry.R, on Flickr

Looking up the middle
8492241509_de844d56b9_z.jpg
CLOSE by Harry.R, on Flickr

Far left
8493338620_839b06cd88_z.jpg
SITU by Harry.R, on Flickr

Tropica narrow fern
8493333572_ce5e8bc2f0_z.jpg
MICROSORIUM by Harry.R, on Flickr

Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated. :)

pepedopolous

Looks great! Java fern is undemanding but it will grow much faster with lots of ferts and liquid carbon. So whether you add TPN+ or not depends on how much maintenance you want to do. With EI and injected CO2, I had to remove some older leaves every week or so. However, it looked really green and pearled a lot.

Cheers,

P

Deano3

Looks great Harry nice layout love the wood in the middle

Dean

jack-rythm

Bradleyh91

I would say three better to keep them in odd numbers would be perfect when all the plants are grown in, what are the tank dimensions?

jack-rythm

Tank dimensions are 36x21x21cm :) Cheers Jon!
I think $ or would be best mate :) I got 4 in my 300mm cube and could possibly be too many but we will set. Check out my journal, it's not in my signature yet but it's called dwarf puffer paradise :) they will love it in your tank nate, looks very cool

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

HarryRobinson

Harry
I think $ or would be best mate :) I got 4 in my 300mm cube and could possibly be too many but we will set. Check out my journal, it's not in my signature yet but it's called dwarf puffer paradise :) they will love it in your tank nate, looks very cool

I think 3 sounds about right, i wanna make sure when they'll have enough room when they grow up :) Cheers for the compliments.

So today i did a water change and also made a short movie.
8498547722_e6d5e1fe43_z.jpg
water change by Harry.R, on Flickr

Lindy

I think you might find the puffers struggling in that current. You might have to half the flow.

jack-rythm

How would i go about halving the flow of an eheim 2213? :)
Adding lily pipes or replacing your spray bar with a longer one with more holes would lessen flow, I'm sure?

HarryRobinson

Harry
Adding lily pipes or replacing your spray bar with a longer one with more holes would lessen flow, I'm sure?

I've already solved the problem now by using the tap on the outflow to reduce the flow, cheers for the suggestion anyway :)

jack-rythm

I've already solved the problem now by using the tap on the outflow to reduce the flow, cheers for the suggestion anyway :)
Would this not put pressure on the filter?