• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

I may have an idea who had them 😎
what a tease.
In 2018 I won an online auction from a seller in Norwich. When I went to pick up the item, (an aquarium), we chatted a bit and he told me he was the only person in the UK breeding Scarlet Badis. It went a bit over my head at the time so I didn't ask to see them, I just thought it a bit odd that he would think nobody else was breeding them. Now I know why.
Alright, next phase of my plan will be to start knocking on doors in Norwich.

I don't have them anymore, they went to a now shut aquarium store. They've always been desirable. I thought i shared pics of the fry on here, but I did not.

As for breeding, blackwater, live foods, pH closer to 5 than 6. Sponge filter, no flow. They hunt their young. Eggs are tiny, so just siphon the spawning area and you may get some eggs out.

I had then from 2016 to 2018.

Last edited:
I'm going to branch out and start making enquiries on tinder "seeking a female for breeding, any female, swipe left unless you're a tiny percoid fish called Dario dario"
I don't have them anymore, they went to a now shut aquarium store. They've always been desirable. I thought i shared pics of the fry on here, but I did not.

As for breeding, blackwater, live foods, pH closer to 5 than 6. Sponge filter, no flow. They hunt their young. Eggs are tiny, so just siphon the spawning area and you may get some eggs out.

I had then from 2016 to 2018.
Got any tips for identifying females? Can you recall at roughly what size/age sex becomes apparent in this species?

I slowly removed every fish with colour over a 5ish month period, they all look female up until mature but some colour develops early in males at around 6 weeks from free swimming. I couldn’t tell much difference before mature - I hate to say this, but I sold all at ~2cm as I wasn’t planning to keep them going over generations. I really can’t remember when maturity colour appears 😔 eggs can be numerous, I had a lot of caves.

I bought the entire delivery, about 40 fish. I returned most.

At the time, I was far more interested in b.badis and b.assamensis. Which I spawned too 😁

Found the extremely bad photo of the 2 males lol
P1020519.JPG

Never come across females in all my years of looking in US LFS (specifically Chicago and all over east coast, particularly Florida). I have however seen females in the back holding tanks and experimental gallery at a US public aquarium. Those were collected directly by the professional aquarists. Discussion with local collectors had left an impression that the trade wouldn't pay for the dull colored females.

Hi all,
@louis_last <"The Aquatic Store"> in Bristol have Dario "hysiginon" Black Tiger, this is what the owner (Nick Cox) said in answer to the gender question:

cheers Darrel
appreciate the tip! I actually had a pair of Dario Hysignon a few years ago and the difference between male and female was very apparent. I made a terrible mistake with this pair and had them temporarily in the same tank as a much smaller surplus male Dario dario that had been sold to me as a female. Initially the three of them were fine sharing a tank but as the male Dario dario grew in confidence he became extremely aggressive and killed the male D. Hysignon while I was out of the country for work. For reference here's the female and male D. hysignon.
darioh_female-jpg.jpg

darioh_male3-jpg.jpg

Just to add that I still feel terrible about what happened to the D. hysignon male - don't ever keep these species together, D. dario is much more aggressive and, even if they're not at first, can eventually become so and are well able to harass even larger fish that they don't like the look of to death.

@dw1305 @lazybones51 @Tim Harrison

Gents you three all also expressed an interested here in getting ahold of females so this is just a heads up that I was finally able to acquire a definite female yesterday from 'riverparkaquatics' on ebay. They got a small batch in and said there were two that they thought might be female, I rushed over to their warehouse and there was one, which I bought. I just thought it might be worth knowing that they have a supplier that, accidentally or not, sometimes sends females along with the males - and that the guys working there have a pretty good idea what they look like. This is exactly the sort of tip off I was looking for when I started this thread so hopefully it might be useful to someone.
Here's a picture of the female. This was taken yesterday right after her drip acclimation was finished and overnight the dark vertical bars characteristic of many of the females have become more apparent.
20210326_233330.jpg

Back