• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

I've brought a group of black Tigers hoping for a female, pretty sure 3 males and one I'm not so certain of, how do you sex yours?
Females are a much duller colour although still have some striping but not the black head.
I find looking at the head shape is easier as it's shorter and more rounded in females.

Females are a much duller colour although still have some striping but not the black head.
I find looking at the head shape is easier as it's shorter and more rounded in females.
Ah Thanks for that, I've got one that's never shown any black or red, I didn't know about the head shape, I'll keep a look out but they are pretty secretive!

This one's about 2/3rds of the size of the rest and never really shown any colour, might just be an undernutrited male as the other males are pretty aggressive towards it, thought they have been abit more gentlemanly if it was a female :D

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_202436165.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210427_202436165.MP.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 171
This one's about 2/3rds of the size of the rest and never really shown any colour, might just be an undernutrited male as the other males are pretty aggressive towards it, thought they have been abit more gentlemanly if it was a female :D
This looks like a female to me.
Here's an old picture of my female Tiger badis for comparison.
darioh_female-jpg-jpg.jpg

I witnessed my Scarlet badis pair mating the other night so I'm hopeful I may have some fry soon too.

If anyone thinks they can reproduce then this might be helpful:

It would be interesting to see if they really are females but I'm afraid that's not a company I will buy from.
The description is for Badis badis for a start and some of the care advice is frankly wrong.

When Badis are in session there are a lot of fry 👍

Did you notice the fry had stripes? There were four of them that darted away to hide in moss when the light came on today and they're still tiny but all looked kind of stripey to me.
No they haven't any stripes as far as I can see but most of them are still relatively tiny.
The male looks to have another batch on the go I think as he is keeping to the cave apart from nipping out for food.

I'll try and get a close up photo of one or two of the tiny ones tomorrow.
That would be really cool Miranda. I've got a better look at them this morning and I'm not sure they actually have stripes after all, might have just been shadows from the floater roots. It would be great to have something to compare them too.

That would be really cool Miranda. I've got a better look at them this morning and I'm not sure they actually have stripes after all, might have just been shadows from the floater roots. It would be great to have something to compare them too.
Just uploading some photos from my camera now

Back