• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has eco-complete changed?

I would love to keep them but they do rummage round a lot, so I fear they would be disturbed the soil to much :grumpy:

Ammazonia should stay intact, so let them rummage. I heard some people have problems with it compacting/falling apart after 1 to 2 years, but not everyone has experienced this... I did quite a bit of research on it before I decided to buy Eco-complete (which was the wrong decision probably, but cheaper). I would have bought akadama if I knew about it prior, there is a nice thread about it here on UKAPS. It is red though.

Better still, pack the surface to the hilt with floating plants. They'll soak up any ammonia in the water column before it becomes a problem.

The ammonia is there to cycle the tank, you can use any fast growing plant to eat it, but it should feed the bacteria.. You can simply dose prime at double dose for 2 to 3 weeks or so, and you'll never have any problem with fish toxicity either. If you add couple of grams of potassium chloride (or sodium chloride (kosher salt)) there are no nitrite toxicities either (or do large water changes every day for the first weeks). But I prefer and advise to have the tank fully cycled before you add fish. Ammonia is no problem without fish, plants love it if it doesn't get too high.

:) hello, I have had eco complete in a tank for over 3years now.i dose ferts daily and have had decent growth on most plants I have put in.i also have akadama in another tank which in my opion out performs the eco complete .i must admit I like the eco complete for appearance but it is very expensive for what it is.all the best ,mrP.

Back