• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Have I inadvertently been poisoning my fish dosing Fe DTPA?

Sarpijk

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
589
Hi, I am under the suspicion that my decision to add Fe DTPA , because of my hard water, may have sth to do with fish deaths.

I believe I might have been overdosing Fe. What I did is calculating for EI on Rotala Butterfly and instead of making two separate solutions one with TNC trace and a second with Fe DTPA 11%, I just made one solution adding both substances.

It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together but since I ceased dosing I haven't seen any symptoms in fish. The main symptoms was some of the fish darting and spinning uncontrollably and dying soon after that.

I am not 100% sure and haven't ruled out a disease but it is very strange to see all the symptoms soon after dosing Fe.
The fish were mainly white cloud minnows.
 

Zeus.

Fertz Calc Meister
Joined
1 Oct 2016
Messages
3,880
Location
Yorkshire,UK
I think the extra Fe is unlikely to have affected the livestock, however it depends on how much Fe DTPA you was adding on top of the TNC trace and how much TNC trace you was dosing.
If you could post the amount of each salt you was adding to the size of your dosing container, the dose and frequency amount and tank size I will run the figures though my calculator (which is soon to be released)
 

Sarpijk

Member
Thread starter
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
589
Thanks for the help Zeus much appreciated!

I might have used different settings since the beginning but this is the main idea behind my dosing. I might have used a calculation based on a 5 ml dose but other that that this is the recipe.
b53add57fab31d7e18443c856a58386e.jpg
289428a0a9f4e58920f0a58d61823b21.jpg
 

Sarpijk

Member
Thread starter
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
589
It was estimated based on their Low light/ E.I weekly option and I dosed once a week.

Fe is chelated water soluble Iron product DTPA 11%.

This one: Fe – DΤPA – Agrifem
 

Zeus.

Fertz Calc Meister
Joined
1 Oct 2016
Messages
3,880
Location
Yorkshire,UK
sorry misread your post
1606655915046.png

1606655649015.png

TNC trace for our purpose is the same as APFUK trace (we took TNC trace off as you can not purchase it any more)

So weekly yield Fe 0.2ppm Fe- so no not the iron based on your figures given as 0.5 to 0.6ppm Fe weekly is full EI which is considered safe
 

Sarpijk

Member
Thread starter
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
589
What made me start the post was searching for Fe toxicity and came across a post over at Barr Report discussing the contents of Fe products. I mean Fe DTPA used in my case contains 11% Fe. Could the remaining 89% be sth like ammonia or other filler?
 
Top