• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Have you noticed neocaridinia eyes in the dark?

castle

I’ve got a colony in the greenhouse that I noticed about a year ago one had bright white/yellow eyes but none of the others did.

A year later and I’d say 10% of them now have this trait. I’m wondering, if you turn your aquarium lights off and shine a bright torch in from the top down, do you notice this kind of reflection/eye colour?

There is nothing special about the eyes under normal light

I’ve got a colony in the greenhouse that I noticed about a year ago one had bright white/yellow eyes but none of the others did.

A year later and I’d say 10% of them now have this trait. I’m wondering, if you turn your aquarium lights off and shine a bright torch in from the top down, do you notice this kind of reflection/eye colour?

There is nothing special about the eyes under normal light
Interesting. I haven't, but I will give it a try one of these nights. I believe some invertebrates have that tapetum lucidum that gives them nocturnal vision and makes the eye look like they are glowing in the dark.

Cheers,
Michael

I see the reflective eyes in my shrimps sometimes when I shine a torch into the tubs. I just assumed all of them have it and the angles between you, the shrimp and the torch determine whether you see it or not, like cat’s eyes.

Back