• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Having algae nightmares :(

ceg4048 said:
Hi Joe,
Did you mention that you were using an air pump? i thought i saw that in your OP. Low CO2 levels can sometimes be attributable to outgassing due to the use of these pumps. It's very difficult to assess your reactor from afar. That's why I always suggest that you take a series of direct measurement of the tank pH every hour or half hour throughout the photoperiod (and a few hours before) to assess the CO2 profile as a function of time. That will give you an idea of the reactors performance.

Cheers,

Thanks, I removed the air pump when recommended earlier on in this thread.

Will do what you suggest but wont be able to do it for a few days as obviously need to be around for a few hours before and during when the CO2 starts.

Will get there in the end :)

thanks

foxfish said:
Hey Joe, that all sounds a bit frustrating for you at the moment but, dont give in as you will get there in the end :)
It does sound like your reactor is struggling to cope with the increased C02 - can you try & post a pic of the device

Pic is hard at the moment as would have to remove filter from in front of it. But it's this (13" of pipe is the pipe that's visible, there's another 1"+ at each end where it goes inside the bend and the T)

reg1z.jpg

The CO2 pipe goes into a hole drilled into the top of the pipe and is simply siliconed in and goes about 1/2 way across the inside, so would look like this from the inside

reg2.jpg

The setup is this (old drawing, but shows how everythings connected)

co24.jpg

thanks

Joe

Hi all

Still have been too busy in real life to be around and take readings over a few hours :(

On the plus side, I seem to be winning. There is still the odd cluster of algae on the wood, but they're getting smaller and I haven't noticed any of the hairs for a week :)

The new plants are all growing well and the floating plants I was kindly given, seem to be expanding rapidly.

So I must be doing something right :)

best

Joe

Back