• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hazy Water

jym

First off, my apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

In the last 3 weeks my water has become hazy. It is not Green but I can see tiny particles that are not being trapped by the fine filter media (I use pond filter wool from Ebay that I cut to size) Nothing has changed in the tank during this time.Water changes are done 30% each week. I dose PO4 and KN03 along with Profito and pressurised c02.

Water parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite.

My question is, would Purigen help with this or would Seachem Clarity be a better option.
My thinking was maybe Purigen, as I could leave this in the filter and replace with another pouch when I clean the filter.
If I go for Purigen, where, in my Eheim 2060 should it be placed?

jym said:
First off, my apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

In the last 3 weeks my water has become hazy. It is not Green but I can see tiny particles that are not being trapped by the fine filter media (I use pond filter wool from Ebay that I cut to size) Nothing has changed in the tank during this time.Water changes are done 30% each week. I dose PO4 and KN03 along with Profito and pressurised c02.

Water parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite.

My question is, would Purigen help with this or would Seachem Clarity be a better option.
My thinking was maybe Purigen, as I could leave this in the filter and replace with another pouch when I clean the filter.
If I go for Purigen, where, in my Eheim 2060 should it be placed?

Jym
It could be that your fine filter media (pond filter wool) is not as dense as the Eheim filter pad - thus alllowing dirt particals through the pad, I would clean the filter media and replace the fine filter with a Eheim fine pad.

Regards
Paul.

i lost a few otto's after using seachem clarity, and i only used half the recommended...

i am not a big fan of any flocculant, but it thought seachems other products are good so i would give it a try... rather go with purigen if you want to use a product other wise go with what paul said and use the eheim pad...

JBL filter floss is brilliant stuff. I also use a ton of carbon for amazingly clear water. on bigger tanks i use 2 filters and one is half full of carbon.

saintly? May i ask? Regards carbon to make the water clear, I love carbon, But have a haze over useing it now as im doseing salts and worry about it leaching the benifits from salts,? Would carbon effect dose with salts? I would love to add more carbon as it realy does work to make crystal clear water,

Another thing is the bacteria? You get more benificial bacteria on ceramic rings dont you? And you have to replace carbon every now and then, Resulting in loss of filter bacteria.

Hi Paul,

I have been using this fine filter media for a while now but the haziness is very recent. I will buy a couple of Eheim pads to make sure that it is not the filter media that is at fault.
There is always a new problem with this aquarium lark. lol. :)

Kind regards,
Jan

Jym
It could be that your fine filter media (pond filter wool) is not as dense as the Eheim filter pad - thus alllowing dirt particals through the pad, I would clean the filter media and replace the fine filter with a Eheim fine pad.

Regards
Paul.[/quote]

I have now cleaned my filter, changed back to an Eheim fine filter pad, placed Purigen in the filter and changed my dechlorinator to Prime, and I still have cloudy water. :(
I did 2 back to back water changes and the water was clear, gradually became cloudy again. Did another 2 back to back water changes, water clear and has gradually gone cloudy again. :rolleyes:
I did fairly recently place some Crypto plant tabs under my Cryptocorynes, would this perhaps make the water cloudy?
Nothing else has changed, my fert dosing and level of co2 have not been altered.
I am at the end of my tether and do not know what to try next. I was thinking maybe more water changes, 50% every other day? Any thoughts (please)

I have had 'green water' algae that wasn't green it was a very pale milky colour. It got to the point were I couldn't see the back of the tank. :oops: I fixed it with a UV filter. might be worth considering.

Chris

I do have a uv filter, but don't use it all the time. I will give it a try. Thanks Chris. :thumbup:

Back