HC Alternative??

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by chrisjj, 17 Mar 2010.

1. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

I have currently reduced the lighting levels in my tank in an attempt to combat some algae. It was aprrox 3wpg, & is now 1.5wpg. (2 x 24w t5, now 1 x 24w t5)

I have some vallis, anubias nana, java moss, some grass looking stuff + a few others, which hopefully will be fine.

I also have hc - it is OK at the moment, but I'm quite liking the reduced light look (surprisingly), so suspect that the hc will start to struggle soon.

I very much like the look and carpet effect of hc as a foreground plant - can anyone suggest any alternatives which are similar but will be fine in lower light levels.

(I'm thinking of replacing the removed t5 tube with a blue one soon? - this will increase the levels, but should be less that before?)

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

3. alzak

alzak Member

Thanks George for this looks like I found some new plant for my new scape
    any chance to attach this plant to rock or wood??
    is any hard to keep plant??

4. George Farmer

I've not seen Marsilea attached to decor, so suspect it's difficult to achieve.

I've never grown it but I don't think it is hard to keep.

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Never seen it on sale, know where you can buy this?

6. George Farmer

7. LondonDragon

Thanks, I will grab a few pots of that when I visit on the 3rd :) not having much luck with the HC and glosso! lol

8. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

9. Jase

Jase Member

10. LondonDragon

11. Jase

Jase Member

This is what I have in my nano, and I don't seem to be getting on with it, the growth is sporadic to say the least - I thought it was me :oops: :lol:

12. LondonDragon

Had the same issues, and you will get one leave when under water anyway ;)

13. Jase

Jase Member

I might change it for Hirsuta then :lol: Funny you say that, I have mostly single leaves but three stems have 4 leaves after cutting it all back to the substrate...

14. Ark

Ark Member

this topic is rather interesting, when you said 'sporadic' growth what did you mean? from what i know sporadic means occuring singly or wide apart? is this correct?

so marsilea crenata is not a very good carpeting plant? i have 3 pots of this waiting to be planted. i chose it over marsilea hirsuta because of the price differnce in aquafluer and tropica, should i have gone for marsilea hirsuta instead?

15. Jase

Jase Member

Yep, this is what is is like, It's spreading but fairly far apart so it hasn't formed a carpet, though I'm sure it will once it gets going...

16. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

I found some utricularia graminifolia in the lfs, so I'll give that a try & let you know how I get on. £5.95 - I thought that was a decent price!?

Cheers

17. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

Separated it out & planted - 2 larger clumps & some small ones. About 2 weeks ago

Small clumps have been up rooted due to MTS :twisted:

2 larger clumps still rooted, but seem to be struggling a bit. Hopefully they are still trying to get established & will start to grow soon?

18. nry

nry Member

UG is classed as 'hard' by Tropica and rightly so, it seems many people struggle with it. Tried it myself and got nowhere :)

19. LondonDragon

In the end I didn't like the look of it and I have now opted to carpet my Rio with Staurogyne sp. instead!

20. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

Well, the UG wasn't successful :( .
    I guess it was a combination of the relatively low light levels & pescky MTS :?:
    I've got some grass like stuff which seems to be doing well so I'll stick with that for now.