• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Alternative??

chrisjj

Seedling
I have currently reduced the lighting levels in my tank in an attempt to combat some algae. It was aprrox 3wpg, & is now 1.5wpg. (2 x 24w t5, now 1 x 24w t5)

I have some vallis, anubias nana, java moss, some grass looking stuff + a few others, which hopefully will be fine.

I also have hc - it is OK at the moment, but I'm quite liking the reduced light look (surprisingly), so suspect that the hc will start to struggle soon.

I very much like the look and carpet effect of hc as a foreground plant - can anyone suggest any alternatives which are similar but will be fine in lower light levels.

(I'm thinking of replacing the removed t5 tube with a blue one soon? - this will increase the levels, but should be less that before?)

George Farmer said:
http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_10/%2D/Marsilea%20hirsuta
Thanks, I will grab a few pots of that when I visit on the 3rd :) not having much luck with the HC and glosso! lol

Jase said:
This is what I have in my nano, and I don't seem to be getting on with it, the growth is sporadic to say the least - I thought it was me :oops: :lol:
Had the same issues, and you will get one leave when under water anyway ;)

LondonDragon said:
Jase said:
This is what I have in my nano, and I don't seem to be getting on with it, the growth is sporadic to say the least - I thought it was me :oops: :lol:
Had the same issues, and you will get one leave when under water anyway ;)

I might change it for Hirsuta then :lol: Funny you say that, I have mostly single leaves but three stems have 4 leaves after cutting it all back to the substrate...

this topic is rather interesting, when you said 'sporadic' growth what did you mean? from what i know sporadic means occuring singly or wide apart? is this correct?

so marsilea crenata is not a very good carpeting plant? i have 3 pots of this waiting to be planted. i chose it over marsilea hirsuta because of the price differnce in aquafluer and tropica, should i have gone for marsilea hirsuta instead?

I found some utricularia graminifolia in the lfs, so I'll give that a try & let you know how I get on. £5.95 - I thought that was a decent price!?

Cheers

Separated it out & planted - 2 larger clumps & some small ones. About 2 weeks ago

Small clumps have been up rooted due to MTS :twisted:

2 larger clumps still rooted, but seem to be struggling a bit. Hopefully they are still trying to get established & will start to grow soon?

UG is classed as 'hard' by Tropica and rightly so, it seems many people struggle with it. Tried it myself and got nowhere :)

George Farmer said:
http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_10/%2D/Marsilea%20hirsuta
In the end I didn't like the look of it and I have now opted to carpet my Rio with Staurogyne sp. instead!

Well, the UG wasn't successful :( .
I guess it was a combination of the relatively low light levels & pescky MTS :?:
I've got some grass like stuff which seems to be doing well so I'll stick with that for now.

Back