• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Cuba. Ada 60P. Thoughts and opinions

HypeBuce

After growing HC Cuba(dwarf baby tears) SUPER successfully in a 25cm cube(pearling and no algae) I upgraded to a 60P setup but have never had success growing the HC Cuba. Images below of the nano. The specs were;
very high light from chihiros
Co2 injection
Inert sand
26C temperature

I have had little success with my 60P growth ontop of severe hair algae growth. My 60P specs;
Eheim classic 250 filter
Eheim Surface skimmer
Co2 injection
Tropica soil
Chihiros 60cm (used to be twinstar 600s but wasn't as bright)
22C but just changed to 26C due to my success in the nano tank at this temperature aswell as another member 'Kashif314'

I'm aiming for the HC to really pearl like It used to and I'm starting to believe temperature is the key. Warm water holds less O2 so it can become saturated at lower levels and form pearling? That's my thinking at least. Only downside is I heard algae grows more at higher temperatures...

Considering the bright light the nano experienced with such shallow depth, i think my lighting may be underpowered too? Despite being considered pretty strong! I'm also experiencing an issue where both my chihiros and Twinstar 600s flash when plugged into power. And they only maintain constant light when used in conjunction with a dimmer around 80-90% intensity, anything further and i get the intense flickering with error code S_02 or maybe 5_02. Anyone know the issue?

So to sum everything up. Has anybody got any success with pearling HC Cuba in a 60P, what are you tank specs? And does anyone know the issue with my flickering lights? Also any advice in general on the scape. Thankyou and I'm so sorry for the king post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0aaeba6001ffd92f62f231459ef257f0.jpg

Here's the scape not too long ago. Carpet might not look too bad from far away but theres a lot the hair algae and not much pearling. Just not as healthy as i want. For pictures of my nano check old posts on HypeBuce instagram, won't let me upload them here?

You moved from a ~15 liter tank to a ~65 liter tank. The challenge of properly distributing and keeping CO2 stable in the larger tank should not be underestimated.

I doubt a Chihiros 60cm LED lamp is insufficient. It will almost certainly be too much if you run it a +80% for long. If the HC and other plants do not have access sufficient to nutrients or CO2 given this amount of light, then they can struggle.

Pearling says nothing to do with plant health. Pearling is undissolved oxygen. The dissolved oxygen is not visible. If you have sufficient flow, it can be difficult to see pearling, regardless of the water temp. And you do not need 26C for HC. Room temperature (20-22) is more than adequate for the overwhelming majority of plants.

And they only maintain constant light when used in conjunction with a dimmer around 80-90% intensity, anything further and i get the intense flickering with error code S_02 or maybe 5_02. Anyone know the issue?
It sounds like the power adapter cannot generate enough current. If you are experiencing the same issue with two different power adapters and two different lamps, then you might have have interference (such as high-frequency interference or a non-zero earth voltage) in your electrical circuit at home. But an underpowered power adapter is a common issue.

You moved from a ~15 liter tank to a ~65 liter tank. The challenge of properly distributing and keeping CO2 stable in the larger tank should not be underestimated.

I doubt a Chihiros 60cm LED lamp is insufficient. It will almost certainly be too much if you run it a +80% for long. If the HC and other plants do not have access sufficient to nutrients or CO2 given this amount of light, then they can struggle.

Pearling says nothing to do with plant health. Pearling is undissolved oxygen. The dissolved oxygen is not visible. If you have sufficient flow, it can be difficult to see pearling, regardless of the water temp. And you do not need 26C for HC. Room temperature (20-22) is more than adequate for the overwhelming majority of plants.

It sounds like the power adapter cannot generate enough current. If you are experiencing the same issue with two different power adapters and two different lamps, then you might have have interference (such as high-frequency interference or a non-zero earth voltage) in your electrical circuit at home. But an underpowered power adapter is a common issue.

I have my filter and skimmer pushing water around e tank and I can see the movement through the co2 bubbles and microbubbles from the steriliser. If I can see the water is flowing around that should be good right? What benefit will additional flow provide if the water is already circulating around.
I also know that a low temperature is definitely adequate to grow the HC but I've seen personal success and success from others at higher temperatures, plus my hypothesis as to why this helps pearling. I'm sure I can get healthy HC without pearling but those bubbles are really what I'm aiming for!
My photoperiod is 1pm -8pm. Co2 is 11am-5:30pm.

My lights have always worked on 100% and only struggled recently. Not sure what suddenly changed this.
It is worth noting that my seiryu stone is heavily covered in BBA if this is any indication towards issues.
Whenever I experienced poor growth or pearling in my nano, extra light was always the answer. Tempting me to apply that here and add additional lighting which seemed to work for the aforementioned other aquascaper.
57530d6888ac5df2e141c7cedac02f37.jpg

Here was the pearling I used to achieve. I hope it is clear I am not disagreeing not arguing with you, purely providing my opinions. Really appreciate all the advice

Back