• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Lol friends.

Where’s the help to my questions ? Ahah.

Not sure how much more detail (or???) you’re looking for ....

You don’t mention tap water conditions, my tap is very soft (mostly rain & snow melt fill the reservoirs), I use Tropica Aquarium Soil and Tropica Premium & Specialized fertilizers (& CO2)

ADA soil has high levels of nutrients to start (& longer term nutrients in the PS Special), following ADA methodology, I’d begin with Tropica Premium, then include Specialized after 1-2 months (depending on plant growth)

All valid points you made. Last one unecessary though. I am not trolling. I have better things to do. But if giving a valid opinion = trolling then I just learnt something today.

I'm sure you wasnt trolling but it was close IMO. In your opening statement ''Doing a dry will have no advantages. On the contrary. You will waste valuable time and the plants will have to adapt again in a few weeks time when you fill up your tank.'' was very against a DSM no mention of IMO or IME which would have made all the difference. Listing both pros and cons gives folks reading a better chance of making the right choice as in our tanks there are no guarantees and what works well for one doesn't for another for many reasons. You did make some valid points in your second post as well :thumbup:

Where’s the help to my questions ?

opps sorry for hogging your thread m8 :oops: I'm not confident on the issue enough to post hence I've been watching the thread to learn what the issue might be ;)

and the plants will have to adapt again in a few weeks time when you fill up your tank.'' was very against a DSM

Simply not correct, for the majority of our forum visitors.. :) Since all plants we buy from the LFS are in terrestrial grow form and dry start ready.. They do need need to addapt again, but only once after flooding.

At least that's how we all buy them plants in Europe and USA from the LFS.. Actualy i have no clue if all available aqaurium plants in Thailand are nursed in aquatic growform. I doubt it, but could be.. But not over here.. :)

Actualy i have no clue if all available aqaurium plants in Thailand are nursed in aquatic growform
I've seen vid's of aquatic plantshops over there, where they had all the plants in shallow pools under light overhead cover.

Most plants you buy here in Thailand for aquascaping and for local market are grown submerged. For export they are grown emerged as they are in their strongest form and have higher potential to surviving shippment. Of course you also find cell cultured plants here and those are obviously emerged.

Than don't be misleaded by the way shops display the plants.. It happens here too, the nurseries grow the plants emersed because it is most cost effective. Else the nursery would need to keep a warehouse / greenhous full of aquariums to grow the plants aqautic..

The shops get emersed form from the nursery and because it is an aqaurium plant the shop put it directly submersed in a display tank in the shop. They have to or else would need a controllled greenhous in the shop for the customer to enter. Which again is not cost effective for the shop.

This is very misleading for the majority of people, the plant is sold from a flooded display tank but still is in its non addapted emersed form. And most people think it is an aqautic form plant they buy after all it is displayed submersed. It occurs very rarely that the plant is long enough in the shop to transition. Usualy it wont stay laonger than a few days and it is sold.

No, beleive me I have been to farms where they are grown submerged. They also let part of the plants grow emerged and also sell those emerged parts when asked. Those farms also raise fish with the plants. Remember we are in a tropical country. These farms don’t use aquariums to grow plants but rather cement pools. Same happens in Indonesia, Philipines etc. Sun and temperature is not a problem here all year round and there is no need of green house. Simple sun shadding nets is what they use.

No, beleive me I have been to farms where they are grown submerged. They also let part of the plants grow emerged and also sell those emerged parts when asked. Those farms also raise fish with the plants. Remember we are in a tropical country. These farms don’t use aquariums to grow plants but rather cement pools. Same happens in Indonesia, Philipines etc. Sun and temperature is not a problem here all year round and there is no need of green house. Simple sun shadding nets is what they use.

Ok!?.. Now you make us all jealous how lucky you are.. :) We do not have this luxery to choose.. Now i understand your statement "Have to addapt again." In your case they would need to if the plants are bought in aquatic form.

But as said before.. It all is for a big part about personal experience and something to be aware of.

I also catch myself sometimes assuming my personal experience must be an universal truth.. Which is in most cases in this hobby not the case. A valuable thing i learned too here at UKAPS..

Most plants you buy here in Thailand for aquascaping and for local market are grown submerged.

Hence the reason a DSM doesnt work so well for you :thumbup:

Most folk use 1-2 grow pots so plant is already growing in air so you just delaying the shock thats all.

Hence the reason DSM works well for 'us' :thumbup:

The reason for the 'logic' is in the detail ;)

Back