• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Cuba Seeds DSM

DanosCichlids

Hello, My name is Dane I'm from Hobart Tasmania (Below Australia) First post :)
I've been into Aquariums for over two years now have many tanks, over 300 cichlids. I recently setup my 66 litre as I've always wanted to do a planted or aquascape tank. I've read every post in this discussion and taken on board everyone's opinions as I know sometimes there is no right or wrong or difinitive answers. I'm just after some help too like the original poster with DSM hc cuba please. I've used ADA power sand special as a base and ammazonia 2 as the substrate. I decided to start with seeds off ebay read many posts and started out as follows. Setup soil, placed seeds and sprayed them lightly so there was no excess of water pooling on the bottom. used cling wrap to seal the tank and set my light to 12 on and 12 off like my other aquariums. Sprayed everyday and airated the tank for 10-20 minutes to prevent mould. waited 5 days and nothing got like 2 roots. Then i placed a heatmat under the tank and boom in 24 hours roots were everywhere and in another day I now have a lush green carpet ;) This is my first DSM and with seeds my question is please how long do i wait for them to be established and flood the tank? Sorry for the pictures as humidity is quite high and i know it's hard to see it clearly. Also depending if there is die off or none do I need to trim?
I should also add I'm not in a hurry to flood either just want to get it right and not waste my time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 382
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 189
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 204
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 194
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Well done with the seeds :thumbup: I can't see the pics as internet is poor as on hols!
As long as theirs no mold you can extend the DSM for some time, their shouldn't be much melting as the MC will be getting 400ppm CO2, keeping the moisture right can be tricky. I would decide to flood when as much is covered as possible, but the MC doesn't want to be too thick either as when you flood the [CO2] will drop to 30ppm if you plan to use CO2 and that's if done well. The MC will also need enough energy to convert from submerged to emerged and this takes energy as does converting the plants CO2 uptake mechanisms to the Lower [CO2]. I sure you have already read about cutting the light back to 5-6 hours when you flood. I find having good flow in the tank really helps my carpets.
Keep us posted on updates :thumbup:

Welcome Dane :)

We've had discussions on growing the likes of HC Cuba from seeds sold on eBay https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/seeds-for-carpeting-plants-myth-or-real.49052/#post-517971 there are more links in my post, #2.
I think the jury is still out as to the exact species being sold. However, I hope that the ones you have sown are actually HC Cuba.
Either way, you seem to have good coverage so I would flood whenever you're ready, now if you want to, and follow Zeus's advice above.
Whatever you decide please keep us posted it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Thanks Guys for your quick replies and help and the welcomes :cool:. The exact name of the seeds I bought is
Glossostigma Elatinoides Hemianthus Callitrichoides (small)
they look exactly like in the photos and nothing like the ones in the thread you posted Tim. So overall very happy with the $12 purchase. As said once the heatpad was added they sprouted straight away. There are still a few in there that have't sprouted I was going to wait until they rooted a bit further to flood but if you guys think it will be okay I'll take your words for it. Coverage is completely across the bottom as i used two packets and layed them down pretty thick lol.

Zeus I won't be using C02 unfortunately as I don't have any. I've got a 2L bottle of Flourish excell I've read that does wonders for plants (and algea) so was going to dose the tank with that once flooded.
I'll keep you guys updated for sure it's going to look sexy with my Zebra Rocks :woot:
Here is a top shot hopefully you can see it a little better. For some reason the flash didn't seem to brighten it up though.
top view.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Well done with the seeds :thumbup: I can't see the pics as internet is poor as on hols!
As long as theirs no mold you can extend the DSM for some time, their shouldn't be much melting as the MC will be getting 400ppm CO2, keeping the moisture right can be tricky. I would decide to flood when as much is covered as possible, but the MC doesn't want to be too thick either as when you flood the [CO2] will drop to 30ppm if you plan to use CO2 and that's if done well. The MC will also need enough energy to convert from submerged to emerged and this takes energy as does converting the plants CO2 uptake mechanisms to the Lower [CO2]. I sure you have already read about cutting the light back to 5-6 hours when you flood. I find having good flow in the tank really helps my carpets.
Keep us posted on updates :thumbup:
There's No mould mate i was very fussy on how much i sprayed and left it open to air out each day

Yeah sorry about the first pics man I only just worked out that you could add a whole image directly ha ha.:facepalm:
My heat mat didn't quite span the whole tank that's why the top right isn't as full or as green. Also that's where my intake outlet is so I didn't put as much seeds there as I didn't want it to block the inlet. I lifted the tank tonight and spun the pad around so hopefully in a couple of days it will look like the other side . The small version that I bought is only supposed to grow 2-3cm none of them are anywhere near that it's just compact and low . Honestly I've never looked into C02 and wouldn't know where to begin. I can't have plants in any of my other aquariums as my cichlids just decimate them but this tank will be different. I'll add my odessy Barb's, cardinal tetra's (if I can source them) maybe a school of glass fish. All placid and stay away from sifters. Thanks I like that advise 1-2 weeks before flood, guessing I just have to keep on top of maintenance in that time.

Both Glosso and HC need CO2 to grow well. Take a look at the tutorial section and in particular these two articles...

Fire extinguisher CO2
CO2 MEASUREMENT USING A DROP CHECKER
Thanks for the info but I'm not really willing to take that risk. Here's some info I dug up think I'll stay with my initial idea.

Re: Flourish Excel vs Pressurized CO2?

Congratulations on your new tank! I personally have a heavily planted tank here at Seachem and use Flourish Excel on a daily basis. I have had fantastic results from it, as with the other planted tanks around the office.

Here is a quote from an article on our website about Carbon in the Aquarium: "If one is not quite ready for the initial investment in a CO2 injection system but would still like to enjoy some of the benefits of adding additional carbon there is an alternative: Flourish Excel. Flourish Excel provides a simple organic carbon molecule (similar to what is described above in the photosynthesis discussion) that plants can use as a building block for more complex carbohydrates. Because Flourish Excel is an organic carbon source it does not impact pH." If you would like to read this article in full, as I believe that it will prove very helpful to you, please follow this link: http://www.seachem.com/Library/Articles/Carbon_in_the_Planted_Aquarium.pdf.

Flourish Excel provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7.

I also maintain a 265 gallon planted tank that has had a flourishing bottom layer of glossostigma, without the use of CO2, using only Flourish Excel and other ferts from the Flourish line. They enjoy very high lighting and once established, they grow very fast. So I think that you can be very successful with glosso in your setup by using Excel as you carbon source. I hope that this information has helped and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask us!

Hi,

Liquid carbon is not really a substitute for co2 gas. Yes it helps as an algaecide and modifies the plant slightly to make it easier for them to absorb and store co2, but as a form of carbon it is pretty poor.

On your scale, if co2 gas is 10, I would suggest liquid carbon is 2!

Have a look at some co2 installation videos for aquariums. It is very easy to do and it’ll change the hobby for you imo. I know it did for me!

Hi,

Liquid carbon is not really a substitute for co2 gas. Yes it helps as an algaecide and modifies the plant slightly to make it easier for them to absorb and store co2, but as a form of carbon it is pretty poor.

On your scale, if co2 gas is 10, I would suggest liquid carbon is 2!

Have a look at some co2 installation videos for aquariums. It is very easy to do and it’ll change the hobby for you imo. I know it did for me!
Fair enough mate thanks for the info. I suppose that post did come from a Seachem rep is probably just pissing in his own pocket. Can't seem to find a reg similar to the post that Tim shared

I'm sort of scared to try it but if you insist I'd give it a go. The link to the reg is down. There are so many on eBay but I can't see any similar to the one in the post...
Take a look at CO2 Art. They produce a range of top quality regs at very good prices. And their customer service is second to none. They also have several how to guides ;)

Take a look at CO2 Art. They produce a range of top quality regs at very good prices. And their customer service is second to none. They also have several how to guides ;)
Thanks man. Did some research, just paid for a nice one with a bubble counter and magnetic solenoid so it will turn off at night. I'm guessing now all I need is the bottle and a diffuser. I'm sort of excited now this is cool as my first high tech tank lols :woot:

Do you guys recommend a glass ubend diffuser? To save hose tangles. Trying to find a pretty glass one. Also is there really a need for a glass C02 counter and ph checker? They look pretty. The glass tube with the green liquid

Excellent, I'm excited for you. It's a great journey to be on, especially for the first time :D
Thanks Tim I really appreciate your and Zeus and anyone that has chimed in help. Everything is paid for now 2.5kg FE, reg with solenoid, glass diffuser with bubble counter, PH glass counter as well. Thought bugger it don't do things in halves go the full hog ha ha :cigar:

probably just pissing in his own pocket.
I like that phrase, and we could use it a lot about various manufacturers' claims. :)
It pays to remember that people on here just want to help you, they're not trying to sell you anything. :)

bugger it don't do things in halves go the full hog
Exactly the right idea, if you try to save a few quid you can make it much harder to succeed.

Back