• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC emmersed

hellohefalump

I've decided to grow some HC emmersed, on my window sill because I had a small amount left over when I did my nano tank the other day.

I'm growing it in a tupperware box, without the lid, on waterlogged aquasoil - should I put some clingfilm over it? Or will that restrict the light?

I have learnt the hard way this morning.
I have been growing some pogostmeon helferi, and HC in a plant pot, with moist soil covered with cling film to keep the moisture in, but for some reason i didnt put the cling film back on top of the plant pot and this morning they have all dried up and died :(

2months i had that going for :twisted:

sorry to hear that aaron, you must be gutted. If I can get mine going, i'll send you some and you can start again if you want?

I'll put the cling film on then!

hellohefalump said:
sorry to hear that aaron, you must be gutted. If I can get mine going, i'll send you some and you can start again if you want?

I'll put the cling film on then!

I am not too bothered, i can start my own again and have it growing while i would be waiting for yours to grow, it is very slow!

Thanks for the offer though :)

I grew my nano out with hc back in the day and it's best to use sunlight to get it growing, it also makes sure it's nice and warm. Growth is much faster compared to when I had just a t8.

I got a tiny amount mixed in with some glosso from Aquaspot World and have been nurturing it for ages. It's only ever grown painfully slowly until the last few weeks when it has just started to put on a growth spurt! The only thing I've changed is to remove some plants so allowing more light in and it's taken off!

As my nursery post showed, I've got it growing above my Oscar tank, there is humidity in there under the perspex covers but all the plants I have tried have died back a little at first after their submersed leaves were first exposed to the air. Is it worth a try as an experiment to keep what remains moist and see if anything happens or has it gone beyond this point Aaron ?

altaaffe said:
As my nursery post showed, I've got it growing above my Oscar tank, there is humidity in there under the perspex covers but all the plants I have tried have died back a little at first after their submersed leaves were first exposed to the air. Is it worth a try as an experiment to keep what remains moist and see if anything happens or has it gone beyond this point Aaron ?

There is only a VERY small portion of HC that is still looking green, i might try and save that, but i am unsure whether i want too or not.

Well, this seems to be doing well, I've had good growth, it's nowhere near completely carpeted, but I think I've made a good start.

However, when I proudly showed it to my partner... he described it as a 'mouldy blahmound'. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

hellohefalump said:
lol no. He's into sound systems, lights and guitars. We get on really well and there's no one I'd rather be with, but our hobbies are incompatible.

At least you're both interested in lights!

Mark

aaronnorth said:
I have learnt the hard way this morning.
I have been growing some pogostmeon helferi, and HC in a plant pot, with moist soil covered with cling film to keep the moisture in, but for some reason i didnt put the cling film back on top of the plant pot and this morning they have all dried up and died :(

2months i had that going for :twisted:

I had a similar thing happen to me. I wanted to rescape my tank AFTER I had planted the HC, so I painstakingly removed the HC and put it onto a piece of clingfilm while I rescaped.

Unfortuantely I took too long in deciding what to do with my scape that the whole lot had dried up and shrivelled by the time I got round to planting it. Luckily I had some left over, floating in the Dwarf Puffer tank; the little sod bit me when I was getting it out though. Serves me right, I suppose!

I've had it going for about 2 weeks now, keeping it moist by misting it daily, and I have put in some root tabs aswell for good measure. Took awhile before it did anything but then it just exploded, another 3-4 weeks and it'll definately cover the entire substrate; it's at least doubled in size/density since I planted it.

I grow mine emersed by starting it off under water and as the first few leaves break the surface drain it off, then the submerged leaves die and the emersed ones dont, i also do his process without a lid or clingfilm to help me.

Back