• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC help

soton_dave

some of my hc(about 7-8%) has gone stringy if that makes sense,the stem between the leaves has gone limp and near transparent,the other 90 odd% is looking good with new leaves/growth.it was a bit ropey when i got it.
i planted it mainly as single stems with tweezers,do you think i damaged it during planting?

im using co2 FE and dosing 3 mil of tnp+ a day and all the plants inc the hc are swaying in the flow and all the other plants are showing growth.
tanks approx 170 litres and theres 50w of lighting on for 8 hrs a day.

please put my mind at rest.

cheers dave.

ps.anyone thinning there hc is more than welcome to sell it to me :D ,looking at the area im trying to cover the 3 ropey pots i planted are looking a bit sparce....lol

Hi,
This sounds like classic symptoms of CO2 shortfall. HC is notorious for it's poor efficiency at CO2 uptake. HC is particularly sensitive to failure shortly after submersion because it has a difficult time transitioning from a terrestrial plant to a submerged one. If you have eliminated the possibility of fish attack, then sub-par CO2/flow is the next most likely cause.

Excel or other liquid carbon options can help immediately, and, if there are no fish in the tank then it would be advisable to implement HC triage by opening up the CO2 throttle and possibly reconfiguring your flow/distribution.

In general, melting, browning, translucency and other types of structural failure or abnormalities (which can include leaf distortion) in plants is typically attributed to poor CO2 because Carbon is the fundamental structural building block.

Cheers,

thanks for the advice guys,
feel a bit silly for not checking before but things are all good,i pulled up the bits that were stringy and found that it was the roots :oops: lol,when i planted the hc there was loads of fine particles on top but with the flow goeing over it 24/7 they must have been moved through the coarser substrate exposing the roots so ive just re planted them a little deeper now.

cheers dave

Back