• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hc not pearling

samc

for some reason my hc isnt pearling and i dont know why. it grows ok not fast but doesnt ever pearl i woundered why???
i am dosing TPN and easycarbo and drop checker is green as should be, the filter is blowing the co2 onto it does anyone know why it doesnt want to pearl?

If you think you've got CO2 and dosing sorted then the only thing left is lighting. How much lighting do you have?
Either way I wouldn't really be fussed - you've got it growing, albeit slow, which is an achievement in itself - more than I could manage! :lol:

gratts said:
Either way I wouldn't really be fussed - you've got it growing, albeit slow, which is an achievement in itself - more than I could manage! :lol:
DITTO!! hehe

I do not get pearling from my HC either.... but then again I am trying to grow it with 0.8wpg T5 and no Co2 supplementation (not even a whiff of easy carbo!) :wideyed:

It grows so slow you wouldn't believe it, literally just a single mm or two each week!!! but it is not dying back so I am quite proud!

samc said:
for some reason my hc isnt pearling and i dont know why. it grows ok not fast but doesnt ever pearl i woundered why???
i am dosing TPN and easycarbo and drop checker is green as should be, the filter is blowing the co2 onto it does anyone know why it doesnt want to pearl?
Simple, add more of everything, especially more CO2. Don't gas you fish though...:D

Cheers,

thanks for all the replies guys

gratts said:
If you think you've got CO2 and dosing sorted then the only thing left is lighting. How much lighting do you have?

at the minuet iv just got 1.5wpg but have got another in there im not using so might try that on
tbh im not too fussed about it not pearling ether as long as it grows but it would be nice to see it :D

a1Matt said:
I do not get pearling from my HC either.... but then again I am trying to grow it with 0.8wpg T5 and no Co2 supplementation (not even a whiff of easy carbo!) :wideyed:

It grows so slow you wouldn't believe it, literally just a single mm or two each week!!! but it is not dying back so I am quite proud!

lol well its growing anyway just take a while to fill in, when it has you wont be trimming it very
often
ceg4048 said:
Simple, add more of everything, especially more CO2. Don't gas you fish though...:D
thanks ceg ill try it :D already nearly gassed them but they were all ok :lol:

JamesM said:
Mine only pearls when I turn my filter off.
i was kinda thinking if the flow blows it away as it forms

Mine only pearls infrequently exept after a water change, I've still not figured out what's so great about that tap water ? I would love to get to the stage on the Tropica video demo were he just hacks it down like thick hair !

Mine currently pearls slightly after water change but it's not 100% established yet.
I think we've discussed previously the water change effect on pearling and I believe it to be the case for me. That is, the water entering into the tank during water change will have higher concentration of oxygen.

If you're not seeing pearling then it could be that a high filtration doesn't allow the build up of oxygen bubbles on the leaves or that your plants aren't growing fast enough to show pearling.

Try turning off your filter during a photoperiod and see if any oxygen bubbles are formed.

Interesting about the oxygen, which forum is that discussion in. Wonder if there is any scope to have pressurised 02 aswell ? Hospitals use thousands of litres a day.

TBRO said:
Interesting about the oxygen, which forum is that discussion in. Wonder if there is any scope to have pressurised 02 aswell ? Hospitals use thousands of litres a day.
I wouldn't pump o2 into my tank through a pressurised system, its just a waste. My 180ltr pearls excessively sometimes and it's unsightly. Whilst pearling is a good sign that plants are doing well, it's not something I try and max out.

Yes, besides, while CO2 is an essentially inert gas, high pressure O2 is explosive and is therefore extremely hazardous. Unless you're running a behemoth tank you don't need this. The plants produce all the oxygen your tank needs as long as you feed them proper levels of CO2 and nutrients.

Cheers,

Back