Heater/'Stat Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by skinz180189, 28 Jun 2009.

1. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

My heater is miles out. It's set at 22C (72F), and always sits between 27-28C (81-82F) which is top of what my fish can tolerate. I've just walked into my room and found it at 29C (84F), so I've turned the heater off and opened the lid to let it cool down. Problem is, I'm away all week and can't keep an eye on it. I've turned it down slowly since purchasing it, yet the temperature has always stayed around 27-28C.
    So what d'ya guys think i should do? Put it on the lowest temperature, and sort it out with my LFS at the weekend?

2. samc

samc Member

you will find that alot of heater heat different to what it says on the heater. you will have to keep lowering the temp on the heater untill it gets to what you want, then you can turn it up or down :D

although you say its allways at 27-28 it could be a problem with your heater unless your tank is near a radiator

3. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

I would say due to the high ambient air temperature you could probably turn it off - but I would keep my eye on the thermometer, or put it on a timer - maybe on for an hour, off for four, back on for an hour and so on until you can get another, I would invest in buy two, you will have a spare incase this happens again, set the temp at is lowest.

Paul.

4. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

I can't do anything like that, nor can I keep adjusting the heater, I'm away from 6AM tomorrow until about 4PM on Friday, and have no timers.

It's not near a radiator, and the rad is off anyway! The tank catches sunlight for a couple of hours late in the day, the window faces South Westerly.

5. samc

samc Member

well is just take the heater out for now and see what the temp does i dont have a heater in my nano and its allways about 24

6. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

What if it drops too low?

7. samc

samc Member

are the fish mollys?

8. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

5 Mollys, 2 Molly Fry and a Bristlenose Plec

9. samc

samc Member

if your room is average-warm temp which it will be this time of year you should be fine to take it out for a day and see what the temp is when you get home

10. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

At both 2.30 AM and 6AM this morning the tank was still at 27C after having the heater off from 10PM, and it was a really warm night. Plus the house thermostat read 24C this morning downstairs, my tank is upstairs.

What I'm going to do this weekend is test the heater in a bucket of cold water in the garage (which stays fairly cool in summer), and see what happens. I'm starting to think it's so warm ATM that the room temperature is heating the tank up.