• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heater/'Stat Problem

skinz180189

My heater is miles out. It's set at 22C (72F), and always sits between 27-28C (81-82F) which is top of what my fish can tolerate. I've just walked into my room and found it at 29C (84F), so I've turned the heater off and opened the lid to let it cool down. Problem is, I'm away all week and can't keep an eye on it. I've turned it down slowly since purchasing it, yet the temperature has always stayed around 27-28C.
So what d'ya guys think i should do? Put it on the lowest temperature, and sort it out with my LFS at the weekend?

you will find that alot of heater heat different to what it says on the heater. you will have to keep lowering the temp on the heater untill it gets to what you want, then you can turn it up or down :D

although you say its allways at 27-28 it could be a problem with your heater unless your tank is near a radiator

skinz180189 said:
My heater is miles out. It's set at 22C (72F), and always sits between 27-28C (81-82F) which is top of what my fish can tolerate. I've just walked into my room and found it at 29C (84F), so I've turned the heater off and opened the lid to let it cool down. Problem is, I'm away all week and can't keep an eye on it. I've turned it down slowly since purchasing it, yet the temperature has always stayed around 27-28C.
So what d'ya guys think i should do? Put it on the lowest temperature, and sort it out with my LFS at the weekend?

I would say due to the high ambient air temperature you could probably turn it off - but I would keep my eye on the thermometer, or put it on a timer - maybe on for an hour, off for four, back on for an hour and so on until you can get another, I would invest in buy two, you will have a spare incase this happens again, set the temp at is lowest.

Paul.

Flyfisherman said:
skinz180189 said:

I would say due to the high ambient air temperature you could probably turn it off - but I would keep my eye on the thermometer, or put it on a timer - maybe on for an hour, off for four, back on for an hour and so on until you can get another, I would invest in buy two, you will have a spare incase this happens again, set the temp at is lowest.

Paul.

I can't do anything like that, nor can I keep adjusting the heater, I'm away from 6AM tomorrow until about 4PM on Friday, and have no timers.

It's not near a radiator, and the rad is off anyway! The tank catches sunlight for a couple of hours late in the day, the window faces South Westerly.

At both 2.30 AM and 6AM this morning the tank was still at 27C after having the heater off from 10PM, and it was a really warm night. Plus the house thermostat read 24C this morning downstairs, my tank is upstairs.

What I'm going to do this weekend is test the heater in a bucket of cold water in the garage (which stays fairly cool in summer), and see what happens. I'm starting to think it's so warm ATM that the room temperature is heating the tank up.

Back