• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heaters

bugs

Any thoughts/recommendations re heaters? Good or bad experiences? I hate heaters with suction cups that constantly fail and allow the damned thing to drop off the glass all the time. Not interested in in-line heaters - don't need to spend the money as the tank is massive and a heater will be hardly noticeable.

I need a 300w and they seem to range from £9.99 on eBay to £20+ for JBL (for example).

Cheers

I use Rena Smart Heater, so far the best I have seen and used.

rena_smart.jpg

I had used the Juwel Heaters but kept forgetting to turn them off while doing water changes and the they would heat too much and when you filled the tank up again they would just break. After that happening twice brought a Rena.
They automatic turn off if the water level is too low and they are pretty much unbreakable.

Worth a look into.

I use a visitherm and it's worked fine for the last 7/8 years or so. I don't bother sticking it to the glass as, like you say, they always fall off. I rest one end on the gravel/sand and raise the cable end by kinking the cable and hooking it over the side of the tank. If you've got good water flow I don't think it matters too much what angle you have it at.

Thanks for the feedback. Another question...

The tank is 350 ltrs. I'd originally thought 1 x 300w should do the trick. The house is centrally heated - usually 18-19c, except overnight when the stat is set to 5c (but the house rarely gets that cold, if ever - I don't stay awake to check!).

300w seems to be at the upper limit for a 350ltr. Any thoughts etc?

Cheers

On a tank that size I'd have two heaters. Then if one does stick off you have a back up and if one sticks on it will take a lot longer to cause heating issues. On my old 180 litre (before I switched to a thermofilter) I ran 2 150W tronics. One of those failed and the other kept my Tangyikans in there (fussy fish at the best of times) alive and healthy until I could replace it. For your tank I'd go with 2 200W heaters as you'll then have spare capacity if the temperature ever were to drop and a back up if one heater goes.

i currently have a hagen heater which hasnt fallen off the glass yet, it has a little computer chip in the heater which is ment to prevent it locking on. i have also used a sera heater which has good suction and looks smart and well built

curlywig said:
i currently have a hagen heater which hasnt fallen off the glass yet, it has a little computer chip in the heater which is ment to prevent it locking on. i have also used a sera heater which has good suction and looks smart and well built

Those Hagern ones with the chip are the Tronics. See my post above...

Ed Seeley said:
curlywig said:

Those Hagern ones with the chip are the Tronics. See my post above...

yeah, ive heard of this happening before.

Back