• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heavy Rocks - Any Concern?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. My gut feeling is to not try the rocks as a first scape but perhaps try and simulate it later with lava rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resurrecting, because I don’t know what I’m doing 👍

I have seen that very heavy rocks will weigh down the aquarium enough that it pushes down the aquarium mat the aquarium sits on. This is on top of a reasonable deep sand bed and egg creates. I can’t believe this is safe; as it’s creating further pressure at bottom seams. In deep aquariums this could be disastrous.

I think this can be alleviated by introducing more rocks to have a more uniform weight across the base, but in short 20kg+ rocks are difficult to distribute imo. Heavy rocks should never not be resting directly on egg crates as sand/gravel supports aren’t static. This crates a smaller area of pressure.

I’ve got shy of 200kgs of rocks that I’d like to use in an aquarium, but mostly stacked in one corner - any suggestions?

Back