• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Height of lights

StevenA

Hi all i have a Fluval Osaka 260 which has overtank lighting which is fixed to a bracket secured to the back of the cabinet. My question is this, is there an ideal height for the lights above the water surface? On my last setup, a Rio 180, the luminaire was about 6 inches above the surface, whereas on the Osaka it is more like 12 inches i think. On the back of the cabinet there were two height positions for the brackets, and i put it on the higher position. Obviously i cannot get to the back of the cabinet now, but i have got a way of lowering the lights if needed. Any thoughts?

I tend to have my lighting around 4-6" from the waters surface. But it shouldn't matter all the much providing the lighting its several feet away! :lol: Its more of a consideration for LED and metal halide light which have much less spread so need to be higher in order to get light all over the tank.

Sam

Hi my Osaka is 5" from the water when it is just hidden by the silver trim strip, but at the rear is in the lower position which helps. If you cannot access the mounting position the lights are fixed to the overframe by 4mm screwed rod which you can buy for pennies from B@Q. Making up a couple of extensions to lower the lights would be just a case of cutting the rod to length and changing them over regards Colin.

Back