• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from a long time planted tank keeper, new UKAPS member from the US!

Jane of Upton

Hello,

I've been a "member" on many US aquatic plant forums for many years, going back to the early 2000's (anyone remember AquaBotanic back in 2002 before it was folded into APC?). I've been an "occasional lurker" here on UKAPS researching specific topics for many years, but somehow always got distracted away...... Anyhow, I'm REALLY enjoying the Tank Journals here, and the wonderfully inviting vibe of this forum! I've found that I enjoy the forums which are not at breakneck speed; TPT has lots of great information, but the incredibly fast thread turnover makes my head spin, so I find myself landing on APC more frequently. I've parsed a bit more in depth here on UKAPS, and have finally realized - "what, I'm not registered? Let's fix that!".

The fascination with all things aquatic began very early; I spent most summers poking around in a nearby pond, or following a woodland stream all the way to the next town over (my parents were LESS than thrilled to retrieve me from a kind stranger's house after dark). After college, I first tried live plants in the aquarium with the Quackenbush method (Clay kitty litter with Osmocote, capped by playsand) and happily exchanged my excess swordplant offsets to the local fish store for fishfood.

I currently have 8 planted tanks running, ranging from 5 gallons (18 liters) to 38 gallons (140+ liters). Some have been in the "intended teardown" phase for quite awhile, others are recently set up with only snails as fauna at the moment. Although I've been keeping planted tanks for quite awhile, I'm only recently beginning to use Active (engineered?) Soils like the ADA and Tropica type. Most of my experience is with Walstad-style, or Mineralized Top Soil bases under sand. These do not lend themselves to the shaping of substrate for aquascapes, but grow plants very well. Cryptocoryne have always held an special place in my heart.

Well, thank you all for having such a lovely forum - I'm thrilled to finally be registered, and able to participate!
-Jane

Upton, MA, USA

Another Yank welcoming you here! This is a fantastic forum, enjoy! 6 tanks expanding to 8, from 15 gallons to 108; mostly planted discus and angelfish tanks but with a couple of true aquascaped tanks.

Last edited:
Hi Jane and welcome to the forum :D,

Looking forward to see some of your Journals appearing hopefully.

I find UKAPS great, as the adverts are not intrusive as some other sites can be, everyone treats others with respect and we try to help each other when we can.

Back