• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hello from herefordshire!

st.john

Hi there!
So I am baby new to aquascaping and fish keeping but have a pretty good background in ecology, water chemistry, biology etc!
Having recently been blown away by amano's and green machines' creations this has quickly become the subject of continuous research! I work from home 3-4 days of the working week so this could just about be the perfect combination of relaxation and aesthetic charm as well as giving me an ongoing long term project.
It all started with myself and my 9 year old lad looking at pictures on the web and him getting deciding to get a nano tank - he is as obsessive as i am about the whole aquascaping/nano fish style and really (i'm proud about this!) likes the idea of a nature aquarium over BIG fish!
anyway - i am looking into options as i have a 5ft by 3ft gap in a very cool room in my house that is just aching to be filled!
I will be perusing this forum for the foreseeable future.....

Nice introduction!
Welcome to the UKaps:thumbup:
Your going to have your work cut out filling that baby!
Go low tech first....then progress to the more advanced Hi Tec;)
It will save you a lot of grief in the long run:rolleyes:!
hoggie

Actually i am loving the low tech idea! I have an .. errrmmm... heath robinson streak. My Diy Co2 setup on the lads nano is working bloody, bloody well! Roll up cigarette filter poked into the end of the tube as a diffuser has worked so well compared to the ceramic one it is laughable. low pressure and teeny tiny bubbles. just looking at vintage chemistry kit to create a large scale yeast Co2 system with an added solenoid/timer and release valve system for the big 'un WHEN i get it!! Love the idea of the system on display with a kind of mad scientist steam punk look! (i also have a background in design). I am impressed actually at how controllable the yeast system i rigged up is to manage having nearly spent out on a compressed system.

Welcome to UKAPS, with your background I think we may be asking the questions lol,George Farmer did a low tech("my best low tech so far")a while back if you want to have a look how he did it its in a back copy of Practical Fishkeeping maybe on here somewhere too.

Back