• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from London

Tim D

Seedling
Hi everyone,

My name is Tim. I’ve been reading lots of very useful threads and I thought I will finally do the next step and register and start asking questions.
I’ve been keeping fish for the last 25 years (with some breaks while at uni) and I’ve always had live plants, but they were normally just part of the décor and not the main focus. However, having spent the last few years experimenting on Walstad methods (yes I know that’s old school, but I was interested to see the results) and playing with ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia (that soil contributed the most!), LED lights, fertilizers and CO2 injections and observing the difference these great products can make I have started to realise my interest now is moving towards aquatic plants and creating small aquarium ecosystems. It’s probably the wrong time for it since I just became a father and time is limited (as is my partner’s patience), but I do try to spare some time and still enjoy the hobby.
It will be great to share this passion with you and I’m sure I will learn a lot from the wealth of knowledge and experience communicated by all of you here!

Welcome- totally with you having 6month and 2 year children! Find the easiest way to make water changes quickly would be my advice if going high tech (daily water changes etc)

Thanks Tim :)

Thanks Tom! Yes, I am trying to do quick water changes while my partner is breastfeeding, so she doesn’t notice it! Shame I don’t have a tap in the living room!

When pressed for time ( and or needed for other "duties") you could consider going low tech for a while, still beautifull scapes possible, less demanding on time. You can always scale up to high tech when time becomes mnore avaiable.
Keeping the missus happy will sustain any hobbies better.................;)

Thanks Advet! Yes, I’m currently running a couple of low tech tanks with the aim of going high tech at some point. My love for the hobby was passed on to me by my father, so I hope my son will enjoy tanks too and help out.
Yes, keeping the missus happy always helps!

Kids and hobbies can be a tricky road to travel. I will keep things small and easy to take care of for now.

Hi Ed,

Yes, agree with you. We always want to go big volumes, but it seems they aren’t compatible with babies/toddlers.
I’m thinking of a couple small setups :)

Back