• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from sunny Scotland

StevieS

Seedling
Hi everyone,

My name is Stevie and I have a problem. Oops wrong group, or is it?

I live just outside Glasgow and have dabbled in fish keeping in the past but never had any luck with plants until recently (not that my plants are doing great I just mean they kind of survive now)

My current setup is a 48"x15"x18" aquarium, Oase biomaster thermo 350, in the last week I have added a 2kg co2 canister with co2art regulator with their in tank diffuser and this morning I installed a Fluval plant 3.0. I have inert gravel, root tabs and API leaf zone.

I have dreams of a beautiful aquascape one day but for now I'm just trying to see what plants will work well in my setup. I have purchased stuff online-
different Bucephalandra, Anubias coin, Java fern Windelov, Java fern Trident, Bolbitis, Styrogen Repens and Cryptocoryne Becketti Petchii.

I have also bought some plants from a few local pet stores that when looking online seem to be Bacopa Caroliniana and some form of Rotala, Egeria Densa, Myriophyllum Hippuroides, Pogostemen Stellata and Amazon swords that will be removed as I dont really like them and they take up a lot of space.

The anubias doesn't seem to be doing well with edges of the leaves slightly melting and an odd hole with yellow edging on one leaf. Wondering if this may be a nutrient issue?

Oh and there's fish in the tank too 😂 just some Guppies, 7 nerites and 5 platys but plan on adding otocinclus and shrimp soon if I can make the plants grow nice and densely.

I have started looking into EI dosing and read the article on here but have struggled to find anywhere that sells the salts as a kit as its still pretty daunting compared to just adding x amount or liquid to the aquarium. Any recommendations or advice on fertilizer or indeed anything in general would be of great help.

Thanks for the 5minutes of your life I have now wasted reading this introduction 😂

Welcome from the sunny NE (Montrose).
So much to read. I'd start by making sure you understand the basic botany / biochemistry. And invest in a basic TDS meter. Since I restarted about a year ago, it's been one of my best purchases (less than a tenner). Certainly get a TDS meter before you think of adding shrimp.

Hello, from the central west 👍

Welcome :)
I have started looking into EI dosing and read the article on here but have struggled to find anywhere that sells the salts as a kit as its still pretty daunting compared to just adding x amount or liquid to the aquarium.
Honestly, there's a lot of things that can be daunting in planted aquariums - I would personally advise just giving it all a go. Online calculators are fantastic for helping with EI dosing, such as Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Dry ferts are faaaaaaar cheaper than liquid ferts. They'll last you significantly longer.

Welcome from the sunny NE (Montrose).
So much to read. I'd start by making sure you understand the basic botany / biochemistry. And invest in a basic TDS meter. Since I restarted about a year ago, it's been one of my best purchases (less than a tenner). Certainly get a TDS meter before you think of adding shrimp.

I used to live in Montrose before I moved back to Ireland . A wonderful place. Especially the drive along the coast to Aberdeen for work. Amazing sunrises and countryside.

Welcome. to UKAPS 🙂A couple of threads in the fertiliser section about APFUK closing down were a couple of members give links to dry salt suppliers. Of course Epsom salts is sold in a lot of high st stores. You could follow the APFUK dosage formula to start but of course read the tutorials

Hi all,
I have also bought some plants from a few local pet stores that when looking online seem to be Bacopa Caroliniana and some form of Rotala, Egeria Densa, Myriophyllum Hippuroides, Pogostemen Stellata and Amazon swords that will be removed as I dont really like them and they take up a lot of space.
Welcome to UKAPS, can we have a picture of the plants? It will make visualising your tank <"a lot easier for us">.

cheers Darrel

Back