• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Yorkshire

keef321

Hello all,
Thought I would say hello , and also ask my first simple question :)

I have just bought my first tank (ada 60p) and bought my rocks / hardscape / soil today after spending some time designing it in the scape dojo!! (I think that's what you call it)

I am wanting to setup my tank upstairs in the house at first, and then when I have saved my pennies moved it downstairs into the living room as then I will have a suitable cabinet for it. It's only a small 60 litre tank, but I am going to have a Seiryu stone scape in it, with plenty of plants and some raised areas. I am thinking I to move the tank I could drain it and put polystyrene around the rocks to hold them (so I don't crack the glass if one moves).....just wondering if I am mad for thinking this, or if this is the norm.

Many thanks :)

Keith

Welcome to the forum.
To answer your question, yes no problem moving it when drained…..like you say, pack it out with bubble wrap or something and get some help to lift as it will still be surprisingly weighty with rocks and wet substrate :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Welcome to the forum.
To answer your question, yes no problem moving it when drained…..like you say, pack it out with bubble wrap or something and get some help to lift as it will still be surprisingly weighty with rocks and wet substrate :)
Cheerio,
Ady.
Thanks for your answer to my question Ady. Good old bubble wrap, I knew that stash I made would come in handy. Yes, I was wondering how heavy it might get.

P.s. I have been following your tanks recently, they look great 😀. I'm going similar for a similar vibe with rocks and stem plants, but trying low tech at first, then co2 later when I have more experience.

Thanks for your answer to my question Ady. Good old bubble wrap, I knew that stash I made would come in handy. Yes, I was wondering how heavy it might get.

P.s. I have been following your tanks recently, they look great 😀. I'm going similar for a similar vibe with rocks and stem plants, but trying low tech at first, then co2 later when I have more experience.
Good luck :)

Hi,
Going to suggest you test out your tank upstairs, building the rockwork , filling with water and testing all your equipment, but do not put in the substrate or plants.
Once happy with the layout, take a photo so you know the rock pattern, then drain and remove everything from the tank so you can easily carry it down stairs without causing any damage.

If you think you may have to move the tank once setup fully then consider adding some small Rubber Swivel Castor Wheels to your cabinet, though would suggest your remove over half the water before moving as we did, very handy if you need to decorate and/or renew the flooring.

Hi,
Going to suggest you test out your tank upstairs, building the rockwork , filling with water and testing all your equipment, but do not put in the substrate or plants.
Once happy with the layout, take a photo so you know the rock pattern, then drain and remove everything from the tank so you can easily carry it down stairs without causing any damage.

If you think you may have to move the tank once setup fully then consider adding some small Rubber Swivel Castor Wheels to your cabinet, though would suggest your remove over half the water before moving as we did, very handy if you need to decorate and/or renew the flooring.
Thanks for the tips Dino!!

Back