• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello!

JM155

Hi all

I have had a 25l nano tank for a couple of years, with a few plants. I have recently bought a 55l Dennerle Scaper’s tank and decided to fully commit to a planted set up! Here is a picture of my first attempt at an aquascape!

Attachments

• E2B4C35A-F02B-4B4A-9765-09A99BD04F04.jpeg
    E2B4C35A-F02B-4B4A-9765-09A99BD04F04.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
Welcome to UKAPS,
Your tank looks stunning for a first time scape! great job!

Thanks very much! I spent a lot of time researching it and a long time building the tank, so really appreciate the compliment!

Great looking little scape. Are you running CO2? Those scapers tanks look great #tempted!

You can poke filter wool between the rocks to stop the substrate leaking onto the sand. Especially important if you get shrimp, they can be rascal for moving stuff. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking little scape. Are you running CO2? Those scapers tanks look great #tempted!

You can poke filter wool between the rocks to stop the substrate leaking onto the sand. Especially important if you get shrimp, they can be rascal for moving stuff. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot! No CO2 yet, just liquid carbon! Am seriously considering CO2 in the not too distant future! Just want to see how I go with a relatively low tech tank before forking our more money and making the step up!

I have a little filter wool in there but not much! Thanks for the tip, will have to add more as plan to get shrimp soon!

Welcome :) Tank looks good, what critters are you planning to put in it?

Thanks a lot!

I have 1 Neon Tetra and 5 Amanos at the moment. The Neon is was from my last tank.

I’ve posted a journal thread on the tank with a few ideas on inhabitants. Current thinking is to add:

Celestial Pearl Danios
Red Cherry Shrimp

I was also thinking of adding Otocinslus and Endlers or some other dither fish to bring out the danios.

Any other suggestions are welcome, if you have any ideas? As long as they are compatible with the current inhabitants (Tetras and Amano Shrimp).

More importantly, advice on numbers of inhabitants would be welcomed. Really conscious not to overstock the tank.

Just seen this... I would suggest you could keep 20 to 24 individuals the species you have selected in a tank this size. Ignore the shrimp in this calculation, their bioload is minimal. I would also personally not recommend otos as they are tricky little fish which do best in a mature aquarium and would compete for food with the shrimp. I would go with 10 danios and 10 embers.

Just seen this... I would suggest you could keep 20 to 24 individuals the species you have selected in a tank this size. Ignore the shrimp in this calculation, their bioload is minimal. I would also personally not recommend otos as they are tricky little fish which do best in a mature aquarium and would compete for food with the shrimp. I would go with 10 danios and 10 embers.

Thanks for this! How many fish would you introduce at a time? Just conscious of any ammonia spikes harming the shrimp and 1 neon tetra that I have.

Well your filter isn't going to have a lot of bacteria due to your low stocking (3cm of fish!) And the plants will probably be dealing with most of it before it gets to the filter... that said the plants also provide a useful buffer too.

When I did a similar exercise, I managed to add about 40% to the stocking level each week without any detectable ammonia at any point (though I was also adding plants through this time). So you would be looking at adding just 1 fish at first, then 2, then you could add say 3 then the last 4 of that species. This doesn't really seem realistic here... I would probably add them in 5s but take things very carefully indeed after the first 5 are added and give it at least a couple of weeks for things to setle properly. You would need to be testing the water for ammonia and nitrite each morning and evening and be ready to change lots of water during this time if required if you detect either (especially ammonia).

If you get the youngest fish you can find they will obvs be smaller and so this would help. 3cm stocking (your neon) to 8cm stocking (adding 5x 1cm juvinilles) is much safer than 3cm to 13cm (adding 5x 2cm adults)! Furthermore, adding another 5cm (5x 1cm juvinilles) of stocking to 8cm stocking is far more reasonable than adding 10cm (5x 2cm adults) to 13cm stocking going by the percentage increases.

One more thought... I'd do nitrate testing throughout too. I don't know your current water change regime but you will undoubtedly find more nitrate with more fish and so you may need to do larger water changes more frequently. That said if you are already on 50% weekly then you're in a good space anyways!! Fortunately 55litres is not too hard to do a big water change on! My nano tank and big tank both take a lot lot longer to sort out than my 64 litre!

Back