• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello.....

Rachel Essex

....I have just broken down my reef tank, I have be well into my marine "stuff" for quite a few years, growing coral fairly successfully, but I fancied a change and am going back to freshwater, I have in the past kept freshwater planted tanks so I'm relearning! I have quite a large system, 501 litres in total, including sump. It's all stripped out and ready to go pretty much. I'm just researching what substrate to use. It's a large tank, 122cm long, 76 wide and 60 deep. I'm keeping my Hydra 52 led lights, obviously changing the light spectrum and thinking about running co2 also, planning on using DI water and tap 50/50. I've not mixed it up and tested it yet, but I plan to keep it slightly below neutral ph.

I look forward to getting to know people here, and hopefully getting some sound help and advice.

Here is the tank as it is now.....it's been hard work removing all the coralline algae, sooo much vinegar!! won't be sorry to see the back of that!

If I can find out the best, and cheaper option for substrate that would be a great start. I have had a look at Caribsea Eco-complete, it that any good? Seems to look good. I just need to work out how much I need!!

Thanks for letting me join :)

IMG_7288.jpeg

Hi Rachel :D
Welcome
Looks like a fantastic tank, should be able to do anything you want with that, look forward to updates!

Hi and welcome Rachel
A lot of use are using the tropica soil it has good nutrient levels and leeches a lot less ammonia to start with not used the eco complete so cant cement
Glad to have you with us happy scaping
And enjoy

Cheers
Jay

Thanks guys! I will look into tropica soil, thanks. Is there a substrate calculator here?

Back