• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

KarloNo1

Hello,
I have just joined this forum, I am an avid fish keeper who loves to grow and nurture live plants.
I have a 180 litre bow fronted tank I am very proud of, and I don’t know 100%, but I believe I have 2 baby Amano shrimp, although I am reliably been informed you can’t breed them in captivity!!
Anyhow, today I have set up an Aguascape in a small 58 litre Ciano tank.
When I suss our this site I will post some pictures of both tanks.
I would like to chat to likeminded people to get ideas for future projects.
Look forward to exchanging pics and chatting
Karl

Thank you, where can I see photos/videos and where can I post photos/videos, many thanks

although I am reliably been informed you can’t breed them in captivity!!
I'm always suspicious of claims like that. :)

A few people have had some degree of success, usually the problem is with raising the babies. They don't normally survive long in freshwater.
In the wild they get washed down to the sea and migrate back through different salinites. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that yours had a large batch of babies and two of them were tough or adaptable enough to survive in your tank without going through the different conditions they normally need.
Another possibility is that the parents are not actually Amanos but another kind of shrimp that got sold under the Amano name.
If you can post some pics some-one can probably identify them.

A few people have had some degree of success, usually the problem is with raising the babies. They don't normally survive long in freshwater.
In the wild they get washed down to the sea and migrate back through different salinites. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that yours had a large batch of babies and two of them were tough or adaptable enough to survive in your tank without going through the different conditions they normally need.
Another possibility is that the parents are not actually Amanos but another kind of shrimp that got sold under the Amano name.
Hi
I will try and get some pics but it’s very difficult, they are very small, approx 6/7 mm and the tank is heavily planted.
On what you said, I have other different Shrimps, Cherries, orange and even a green one, but these do look like Amano’s, as they grow, hopefully it will become clear as to what they are.
Thanks for replying
Karl

Hi Sparky,
I felt like an American cop on a steak out at my tank looking for the baby shrimp, the pics are not very clear as I only have my phone to capture them, I think the best one is where an adult is at the top left and the baby bottom right, I will put several pics and videos for you to see and hopefully you can confirm that they are Amano’s

Attachments

• 30D1AEF6-0AD6-48AA-ADF8-AC78BD8D5265.jpeg
    30D1AEF6-0AD6-48AA-ADF8-AC78BD8D5265.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 2EF5E382-9820-4392-B498-B95B6A130E6A.jpeg
    2EF5E382-9820-4392-B498-B95B6A130E6A.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 94
  • A552C98B-8B4A-472C-96D1-EAD218E3FFCC.jpeg
    A552C98B-8B4A-472C-96D1-EAD218E3FFCC.jpeg
    581.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 7A174359-39C7-42A0-BC21-387FDCE82ADD.jpeg
    7A174359-39C7-42A0-BC21-387FDCE82ADD.jpeg
    702.4 KB · Views: 83
Amano Shrimp usually have a white stripe down their back and reddish spots along their sides. I can't see those in your pics.
There are some good pics of Amanos here;
Amano on wiki
(click the left and right arrows for more)
And some useful information here;
PFK
including some about similar-looking shrimps.

Back