• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help/Advice re how to use RO unit please

CJM70

I have an RO unit which came with the tank I bought. The guy who sold it tells me it still has plenty of life in the membrane and the pods are relatively new. As you can see from the pictures that I have added this comes with what he described as a “handy connector” which is apparently designed to screw directly onto an outdoor tap (or any type of the same size screw fitting of course).

The problem is that I’m currently lodging while I look for my own place and there are NO suitable taps. The only option I might have is to find a suitably sized “handy connector” that will attach to the outlet of the electric shower (can be run cold water only).

Do you think that would work? I recall something about RO membranes needing a certain pressure level.

any advice would be welcome.

Attachments

• D6E62AFB-53C4-4F09-B658-E67322118564.jpeg
    D6E62AFB-53C4-4F09-B658-E67322118564.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 145
RO units work best with around 60psi, they will work at lower pressures but with reduced efficiency/output, mine runs at around 50psi.

You can use a Y piece and attach it to your washing machine cold water feed, this is how mine is setup Washing Machine Y Piece

You should be able to get a connector to fit the end of the shower hose I think!
What about this below...

RO units work best with around 60psi, they will work at lower pressures but with reduced efficiency/output, mine runs at around 50psi.

You can use a Y piece and attach it to your washing machine cold water feed, this is how mine is setup Washing Machine Y Piece
Nick I can’t do that. I’m just a lodger at the moment.

You should be able to get a connector to fit the end of the shower hose I think!
What about this below...
Not sure that will work. One end is for a garden hose. The options for attaching to the shower are either a “handy connector like the one already attached to the RO unit, but the right size for the shower output. OR the opposite sex connector that will screw into the end of the shower hose, with the appropriate fitting to push-fit the RO feed pipe into. Does that make sense?

Nick I can’t do that. I’m just a lodger at the moment.

It's a totally reversible and non-destructive method if you can't find another option, you simply have the clean RO go into your container and the water pipe down the drain.

It's a totally reversible and non-destructive method if you can't find another option, you simply have the clean RO go into your container and the water pipe down the drain.
That’s as maybe, but it would cause difficulties and I’m not prepared to do that.

Guys thanks for all that info.
To confirm, it’s not appropriate for me, as a lodger, to start moving the washing machine and re plumbing the kitchen, having RO pipes etc all over the place. I have my own room and en-suite, hence the shower being the only option.

The shower (electric) has an output that’s definitely smaller than the “handy connector“ in the pic, so I think it is prob 1/2” as later suggested. I will try those ones from Amazon.

My only concern now is if the pressure will be sufficient. Time will tell.

I appreciate all the input and any further suggestions.

My only concern now is if the pressure will be sufficient. Time will tell.
Hi @CJM70 ,
The efficiency is a function of water pressure and temperature. This varies by product, but usually around 65 PSI @ 25C you get the optimal production rate (~100%). But even at a fairly low say 40 PSI you will still get 67% (at 25C).
My water is about 60F / 16C and my PSI is currently about 45 PSI so I get in-between 83% and 67% on the pressure part and 73% on the temperature part or: (0.83+0.67)/2 x 0.73 x 100 = 55% which is fairly consistent with my actual production rate of about 2.4 Gallon (9 L) per hour. 100 GPD (378 Liter per day) rating / 24 hours x 0.55 = 2.4 GPH.

1642543191414.jpeg

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @CJM70 ,
The efficiency is a function of water pressure and temperature. This is varies by product, but usually around 65 PSI @ 25C you get the optimal production rate (~100%). But even at a fairly low say 40 PSI you will still get 67% (at 25C).
My water is about 60F / 16C and my PSI is currently about 45 PSI so I get in-between 83% and 67% on the pressure part and 73% on the temperature part or: (0.83+0.67)/2 x 0.73 x 100 = 55% which is fairly consistent with my actual production rate of about 2.4 Gallon (9 L) per hour. 100 GPD (378 Liter per day) rating / 24 hours x 0.55 = 2.4 GPH.

View attachment 180287

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks for that. I will see if I can find the data for the pressure that this shower unit puts out.

Back