• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Algae ID in new tank

ExcitableBoy

Hi!
I need help to identify these two algae :)
The former is in the background, it is growing more extensively and faster than the latter, mostly on older leaves of emersed plants or on slow growth plants.
I hope it's simply hair algae and not the Spirogyra...

Then there is the other one in front of it, roughly in the middleground. it has a "stem" that looks thicker or let's say more rigid than the hairy one. But its particular traits are those couples of "branches" all along the "stems", they look like a V.
IMG_20230113_153719.jpg
IMG_20230113_153429.jpg

This is a no CO2, 50L tank that I set up two weeks ago. 30L WC twice a week, dosing NPK (DIY) + micro (EasyLife Profitto)
Lots of reason possible for these algae
  • still not fully cycled filter
  • too much micro
  • too much light. I am trying to reduce it with floating plants, but it's hard because of the surface movement. I can't even keep Phyllanthus fluitans because the flow makes it sink. I tried to make an enclosure with a hose, but it makes sink the limnobium too.
  • too much organic matter: the tank is not actually new (and so is the substrate), it was one of my vivariums and most of the plants are some of those who had survived after three months without ferts, water refill and with lots of aphids.
Other tank pics
IMG_20230113_153822.jpg
IMG_20230113_153828_1.jpg
IMG_20230113_153846.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_153838.jpg
    IMG_20230113_153838.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 55
Hi all,
Lots of reason possible for these algae
Yes, it is difficult one, basically green algae like <"the same conditions"> as your plants. Personally I think they are all plants and the difference is purely some are plants you want and some are plants you don't want. Looking on the bright side your plant growth looks pretty healthy.
But its particular traits are those couples of "branches" all along the "stems", they look like a V.
I think that one isn't an algae, it is a vascular plant, <"Utricularia gibba">. I like it, but that isn't a universal view.
I hope it's simply hair algae and not the Spirogyra...
Spirogyra would be my guess. Do you have <"access to a microscope?"> , this is what <"you are looking for">.

algaeusesame-jpg.142528

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, the second one looks definitely like Utricularia gibba. It must have come from some easy-fast plants I bought at the LFS last Monday. I will leave it, maybe some manual removal now and then if it gets too unaesthetic.
some are plants you want and some are plants you don't want.
I'm fine with these kind of plants, like Lemna minor and Riccia fluitans, the former is pretty useful, especially for a set-up like this. The latter is growing in the substrate, it has survived there when the vivarium almost ran out of water, it looks like some grass growing here and there among the plants. I'm actually ok with a little algae too, or if they cover some hardscapes, for instance I love woods covered by BBA. But if they start to cover healthy plants, no.

Looking on the bright side your plant growth looks pretty healthy.
Yes, the plants are growing fine, thanks! only Saururus cernuus is too slow, maybe I will put it in the tank with CO2.

Spirogyra would be my guess. Do you have <"access to a microscope?"> , this is what <"you are looking for">.

Nope. But that's ok, I am going to keep this water change routine for a month or so and let's see. I will manually removal it at every water change, hopefully it doesn't get too fast.

Yes, next week I will receive the Dennerle Nano Gravel Cleaner, I should be able to vacuum most of the substrate during a single water change then.

Back