• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP aquael ultra 2000 problem

If only Eheim were still making top quality filters. That's what built their reputation but their new filters have given rise to quite a few forum threads about their quality problems.

One of the most experienced aquarists I know says the newer Eheims very different from the old ones, but with the same price.
Im inclined to believe him, especially when every new generation adds features with new moving parts that can break.
I asked him if I could get a brand new Experience series and get the build quality and plastic of the old Experience series. He didnt know the answer.

I still have my old Professionel 2226 in storage, so I could use that. They will have to pry this filter out of my cold dead hands. I will always keep it around as backup.
Otherwise I have looked at the used market, to see if I can snap up any of the decent LPH older models for a reasonable sum.
Unfortunately (for me) the Eheims retain their price well here.
Or if im feeling like risking it, buying a new model. I need to give it some more thought.

Got an eheim pro 4+ 600 as it was 30 bucks cheaper than the biomaster 600 non heated version...hope it will last. The whole plastic seems less sturdy than the aquael, but’s the flow seems as good even it’s only rated at 1250l/h. Power consumption isn’t too bad either.
Will see how is the noise after a few days of work...

Seems all filters have some sort of issues. My current Eheim Experience 350 is changing output randomly. Spoke with Eheim and can't get it to work properly. Friends of mine complain about JBL filters randomly starting to leak. Other friends say the Oase is prone to pushing bubbles into the tank once in a while.... Pity to hear this I have the Aquael Ultramax 2000 still in the box to use on my 120...

Seems all filters have some sort of issues. My current Eheim Experience 350 is changing output randomly. Spoke with Eheim and can't get it to work properly. Friends of mine complain about JBL filters randomly starting to leak. Other friends say the Oase is prone to pushing bubbles into the tank once in a while.... Pity to hear this I have the Aquael Ultramax 2000 still in the box to use on my 120...

gotta agree, but this kind of issue is one the worst one (stopped working).
Nigel just check the impeller, if it has 6 blades you have the v2.0 and it should work properly, if you got 5...well, then you should contact Aquael for a new pump head.
I will fone them tomorrow to see how good is their customer service...mine was just running for 2 and a half months.

gotta agree, but this kind of issue is one the worst one (stopped working).
Nigel just check the impeller, if it has 6 blades you have the v2.0 and it should work properly, if you got 5...well, then you should contact Aquael for a new pump head.
I will fone them tomorrow to see how good is their customer service...mine was just running for 2 and a half months.
Well I have the impeller with 5 blades. Can't they just sent a impeller with 6 blades instead of a new pump head?

Hi, here is the response from Aquael:

Hello,
I`m sorry that you have problem with our product.
After consultation with our technical team we realise taht in filter there will be atill some air that stops water flow.
We advise you to tilt the filter about 30% on prefilter side and stay 5 min tis position. After it all air should go out and filter should work normally.
With ebst regards,
´
That is disappointing...will try it anyway but i already tried to tilt it (not for 5min as this thing is heavy) and it didn’t work...I’ll try in my bathtub.

Hi, here is the response from Aquael:

Hello,
I`m sorry that you have problem with our product.
After consultation with our technical team we realise taht in filter there will be atill some air that stops water flow.
We advise you to tilt the filter about 30% on prefilter side and stay 5 min tis position. After it all air should go out and filter should work normally.
With ebst regards,
´
That is disappointing...will try it anyway but i already tried to tilt it (not for 5min as this thing is heavy) and it didn’t work...I’ll try in my bathtub.
Hmm but they didn't mention to replace the impeller with 6 wings. Did you ask about this?

Hmm but they didn't mention to replace the impeller with 6 wings. Did you ask about this?
I will! I’m trying the bathtub test tomorrow and then I’ll email them about this new impeller I saw on a polish YouTube video

Hi,
so...getting the filter some tilt while running didn’t work. Ofc.
I emailed back Aquael...no response yet.
Had a French friend who had a v2.0 from his lfs in replacement (his Aquael was getting the same issue as mine), he made pics of all the parts that are new:

210209062853731318.jpg

worst part is that the hoses are now 19/25mm, good luck to find lily pipe for the v2.0...

i emailed back Aquael today with this pic, hopefully they’ll send me an v2.0 too as my filter is still under warranty for more than one year and has been running only for 3 months...not as easy because I bought it on Amazon unfortunately.

I am so much disappointed as well with Aquael Ultramax 2000.

I got the V1. Then noticed that it was having some airlock problems. So I contacted Aquael who kindly sent the whole top part of the filter (v2) to Skaii&Shrimp to France. That's where I initially bought the filter and a friend of mine brought it back with him to Thailand. Anyway, Skaii&Shrimp then shipped me the new part to Thailand. They were very kind and we split the shipping cost. They were under no obligation to do so. Customs here obviously f$$$k me good, but that's another story and has nothing to do with Aquael or Skaii&Shrimp - lol

Anyway, since I have v2, things are even worse than before. When I received the new part I did notice all the differences posted in the pictures here above. I though oh cool, the thing is now going to run like a beast.... nah. No Such thing.
1. I measured flow: ~800L/h. That's the filter filled with bio media. I have no sponges in there. Obviously I won't get 2000L but ~800L seems rather low. I was expecting at least >1000L/h.
2. The filter is making more and more noise by the day. Today I measured it's 51 dB. I can hear the humming even when the cabinet is closed.
3. This is the second time I am cleaning the filter and each time I clean it, it seems to struggles more and more to start up. Last time I needed to tilt the dam thing all over the place to remove the air and it took me a good 15 minutes to bring the flow/noise to "normal". I want a filter that works not that needs man handling each time it's cleaned...
4. It also makes some clicking noises sometimes which don't sound that good.

Looking at the second row of pictures above I did not get the redesigned top basket cover as well as the new sized hosing so I am using the original ones. These two original components could actually be reducing the flow. In any case the noise that the filter is now doing does not inspire confidence. I have only used the filter for 2 months. I contacted Aquael today and I will be waiting for their response next week. Will report back.

Last edited:
Hmm I still have a v1 Ultramax 2000 which I soon will use on my 120 tank. I got the new impeller with 6 wings and hoped that would fix possible issues.
Not sure it will. Aquael actually made multiple modifications to the head. One of them was adding a small channel to bring air out which in my opinion was the number one problem.

Not sure it will. Aquael actually made multiple modifications to the head. One of them was adding a small channel to bring air out which in my opinion was the number one problem.
Hmm are there any old versions that work properly? Not sure If I should let it replace before using it or first try and then swap if problems a rise.

Hmm are there any old versions that work properly? Not sure If I should let it replace before using it or first try and then swap if problems a rise.
Well the V1 is the first version. Some people don't have problems with it so I would say try the filter without changing anything and swap if you have issues. But Aquael did not only change the the rotor and impeller. As I said they changes the whole head and did some design adjustments. In fact they also increased the diameter of everything probably to prevent restrictions.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue of loss of flow with my Ultramax 1500. What's the best contact email for Aquael?

Back