• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Choosing a Filter

Greenview

My rapid indiction to the world of planted tanks continues with an increasing realisation of the expense of equipment for a high-tech tank. I have come to realise that I need an external filter for my Rio 180 litre because the internal black box is bugging me. Cash is limited, and I want something reliable and quiet, so I was thinking about an Eheim classic 2217 (run through an UP CO2 inline and spraybars). It also has the advantage of fitting in the Juwel cabinet. I realise that this will get no where near 10x flow, but a small circulation pump might help that. Does this sound a reasonable choice or do I really need to get something more powerful and more expensive?
Thanks

I'd go for what ever money wise you could stretch to on your tank. At least then your not having to upgrade your filter a month or two down the line. I've heard the allpondsolutions filters have very good reviews, or maybe go one eBay and bid for one of the many bigger second hand eheims that are on.
The more planted your tank becomes the more important that 10x flow does too :0)

I have a 450 litre juwel, and took the internal out too for space. I run two fx5s. Slight over kill at present but only set half way but that extra flow will help when it's all grown in

Hi all,
I like Eheim Classics, and you should be able to get an Eheim 2217 second hand. It will give you massively more biological filtration than you need, so you could always go for a 2215 (or even a 2213) and a Koralia, powerhead or similar. I usually run an Eheim 2213 and 400 lph Maxi-jet power-head/koi sponge on the tanks less than 100 litres and x2 Eheim 2213 and a 900 lph Maxi-jet on big tanks. I used Eheim 2213's and Maxijets so that I always had spare parts etc. and they are both very long lasting bits of kit that you can get spares for. On a 180 litre, an Eheim 2215/17 and a Maxijet 900/12" x 4" x 4" PPI10 sponge would be plenty of biological filtration. Another factor is that the impeller for the 2217 will fit in the 2215 and increase the flow rate. I've only ever had low tech tanks, so the high tech boys may be able to tell you some more about flow and the advantages of a Koralia type pump.

When I had the lab set up for the landfill leachate re-mediation, I used to use a settling tank, the multiple Maxijet/sponge pre-filter (as a water lift) and a large planted over-tank trickle filter filled with "Hydroleca" or "Alphagrog", and this system has a truly enormous biological filtration capacity.

cheers Darrel

If the tank is sufficiently well planted then the main purpose of the filter is the mechanical filtration. Chem and biological filtration is mostly carried out by the plants and bacterial life that dwells on/below them.. I guess if you are on a budget, then you dont have to remove the Rio 180 internal. Simply remove/reduce some of the media inside and keep (say) only sponges or other "cheap" medium without resorting to hi-tech sintered glass or somesuch like. Plus upgrade the filter pump alone. The standard for Juwel 180 is the 600 lph pump (small white one). Replace this by either 1000 or 1500 lph pump. With this combi of pump & reduced (aka less obstructive) medium inside, you would still do good for mechanical (primary) & biological/chemical (secondary) filtration. Add a Koralia or like water pump for extra circulation. Make sure that the output from this makes good water surface movements. Guess this will help you achieve with less money.

I have done this and it works in my tank at least. (Of course I have added an Eheim pro 200 canister later on, but that is more for the CO2 reactor reasons, and only when cash became available.)

cheers
niru

Thanks for the comments. I will go for a 2217 with inline CO2 and a nano pump for extra flow, and remove the internal filter at the same time. Tank surgery scheduled for the end of the week before planting commences.

Back