• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help choosing filter size

Niall

I am going to buy a new filter for my 55l heavily planted tank.

I want an oase so the filtosmart suits the space I have for my filter perfectly.
The 100 is 600lph
The 200 is 800lph
The 300 is 1000lph
They are all adjustable, I like the idea 9f having a large filter volume but is there such thing as too big?

Also I would like the thermo version to loose the in tank heater but for example the 300 model has a 300w heater, again can a heater be too powerful for a tank?

Cheers
Niall

The 100 should be enough for output and there isn't s need for a large filter volume in a heavily planted tank as the plants themselves will provide plenty of bacterial filtration.
However having the extra output can be useful as even a large filter without much media means better/more flow in filter so more O2 so the filter becomes less anaerobic which is good IMO. Larger filter with course and medium sponges should be plenty and shouldn't need to be cleaned as often as smaller one also.
The trouble with a 300w heater is what would happen if it malfunctions as they sometimes do and is permanently on !! Yes would fry the livestock. So if you do go for the 300 I would suggest fitting a 50w heater. Having the heater out of the tank is much better IMO

Some good points there Zeus thanks! Im actually looking at the biomaster thermo 250 now, the ease of cleaning the pre filter sponge is very appealing and it's got a 150w heater too!

The 250 is a good filter i have it on my 45p i belive thats only 36ltrs but it not to.much flow and i like the heater out the tank too so its worth it
Cheers
Jay

I was about to post something similar. By accident and through having a 4 month old at home... I had the pipe cleaner stuck in the outlet pipe all last week. Flow was obviously reduced. Plant growth has been amazing! I already reduced the amount of media in the filter... I'm now wish I could reduce it some more. Malaysian trumpet snails went bit crazy, taking advantage of the extra organic waste reaching the substrate, getting the flow back will resolve this. Great to see the system and how is it works...

Expect others will tell me lots of media is a good thing in a planted tank.. just my observations... Interesting nevertheless

Back