• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help choosing substrate

nayr88

hey all :)

Right my problem is im looking for the daddy of a subtrate and I know cheap isnt good and good isnt cheap, but is the oliver knotts stuff THAT good. I was looking for an alternative, does anyone have any experience with the nature soil? or any really really special substrate they would recomend :) . i really want a substate i havnt got to top and that is quite natural looking, also one that would be good for shrimp and doesnt cloud :geek:

:thumbup:

How big is your tank? I've heard that nature soil can degrade after 9 months or so (LondonDragon was telling me today) but I have no personal experience of this. The current hot substrate is Colombo Florabase. There are others out there and it really depends on what you want to grow etc.

Well one is 120litre 80cm long.

In that tank therell be afair bit of rock and wood, but i wanted the 'jungle egde' look.I'd would like a few carpeted areas of dwarf hairfgrass. also the usual crypts, barcopa, hygrophila and a red tiger lotus if it fits in with the look :)

I was also hoping to use the excess for a 7inch crs tank. (quick question. how do i get co2 in such a small tank, will easycarbo be ok for crs)

im still quite fresh into this and have had an attempt or 2 before this both times just randomly picking plants from the lfs and using manado as a base and dosing ferrorpol 24 with cheap low light, the plants are alive and growing, very slowly :(

this time i dont want to waste time and im willing to put abit extra in,however im not too fond of a substrate that will mean ill have redo the tank every 8months. does the naturesoil become useless or are root tabs needed??

sorry if a seem abit fresh.....but i am haha

Regards Ryan

sorry

just see the thread a few posts down comparing some of the better substrates that dont need topping :crazy:

Back