• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help CO2 not working

right solenoid is working, so it can't be that. Will get another return valve and see if that is it..
Am getting there slowly.
Quick question though, should I still add the ferts even though there isn't any CO2? I don't want to get any algae!

having said that, there are now bubbles in the bubble counter but none coming out the other end in the tank. Should I be seeing them coming out the tubing in the tank? I don't have a diffuser on at the moment.
When I turn the knob on the needle valve (?) there is no change in the rate of the bubbles coming out - what does this mean?

okay, so it stopped again. I did the cycling of the solenoid and it started again. Would that mean that there is something wrong with the solenoid?

Hi,
Nutrients don't cause algae. Lack of nutrients causes algae. Navigate over to the Algae Forum and study those threads from top to bottom. Lots of good info there.

OK, so the solenoid works. Now, is it possible to remove the check valve completely and to see is gas comes out?. Also, bubble counters are notorious for leaking. Remove the bubble counter and attach the hose without it.

If the pressure is very low the gas might only very slowly find its way into the tank. The water pressure in the tank is higher so the gas has to fight that "back" pressure on it's way out..

Cheers,

okay, have done that but still there is nothing coming out in the tank.
The gauges show 60psi and 2psi, could the pressure be the problem?

Hi,
For troubleshooting it's better if you get the tube out of the tank and just use a cup of water to stick the end of the tube in without any of the other equipment that is mounted in the tank. 2 psi should produce strong bubbles out of the end of the tube. I'm not clear on what you have done so far tonight. Did you remove the non-return valve? What about the bubble counter, did you try removing that as well and attaching the tube directly to the port you removed the bubble counter from?

Cheers,

i have taken the check valve and bubble counter off and attached the tubing to the needle valve directly. will try it with a cup of water.

okay I have got it to work and I think I was being very stupid about the whole thing. I thought if you plugged the solenoid in then the bubbles would stop, but it seems not. I plugged it in and have loads now - admittedly that is without the check valve or bubble counter, so think that they could have been a problem as well. Oh this is so exciting!

Thankyou so much everyone for you help and your patience with another complete newb!

Hi lstratton and everyone,
Istratton, glad to read that your FE system is now working. I can't wait to setup one for my Aquatlantic 230l planted tank. I have two Natual Plant Sytems running but there are not enough CO2 for my tank, and also there is no activator & stabilizer package left at the moment. Beside they are very expensive. I also don't want to change it every 2-3 weeks.

I've thought about FE for few months ago, but i was scared and did not know how to setup a FE system, and wondered what components needed to buy etc...

I think it is a good time to get it started. But can one sugguest & recomment the right components, and some guides how to set it up once i've got all the components?

Many thanks.

HI there, it really isn't as scary as you think it will do.
Firstly you will need a regulator (has the gauges on it), then a solenoid if you want your CO2 to be turned off automatically, a bubble counter, a check/stop valve and then a diffuser.
The order you attach things are regulator to FE, solenoid to regulator (if not already attached), tubing that leads to a stop valve, more tubing leading to a bubble counter, then more tubing that leads to the diffuser which you place in the tank as far down as possible, so that it gives more chance for the CO2 to diffuse through the whole tank.
When you are attaching the reg to the FE, firstly unscrew the spray horn bit, then attache the regulator to this. use a wrench for this and do it as tightly as you can. Then take the pin out of the handles and squeeze the handles down. You shouldn't hear any sound like air escaping (leak if there is), and you should see the dials in the gauges have readings on them.). Then get some masking tape and wrap it around the handle to keep them squeezed together. Then attach everything else, check for leaks as well (full description of that earlier on in this post), place the diffuser into your tank and then adjust the bubble flow with the needle valve, which is usually attached to the regulator.

hope that helps. Sure I've forgotten something along the way, but I know how much of a mine field it looks like when you are just starting, and it can get depressing if it doesn't work, but is so easy when it does.

Thanks lstratton. It sounds very simple isn't it? Well i hope it will be. I was worry about the openning horn step. I though it could blow off if i don't have clues.

I will order the compoments sometimes this week or so. Do you think the bottle you had on ebay is a good one? I've never buy any thing from ebay before. I've heard there are alot doggy stuffs out there.

From what you mentioned, here are the components that i need to order, and i think they are not really have to be the same product branch, but they will work? If i miss something out, please let me know:

1) a CO2 FE bottle
2) a Regulator
3) a solenoid
4) a bubble counter
5) check/stop valve
6) a diffuser
7) Air tube

What is check/stop valve? a picutre or a link to show it would help me to order. Is there any stuff from my current Natual Plant Sytems that can be reused when setting up the FE? And finally add the cost of all components together, how much will it be approx? About £150? I was about to take home a JBL Profile set 2 from lfs, but the bottle is 500mg which i believe is not good enough. I asked the shop owner how much it would cost to exchange for a 2kg bottle at the time i buy the set, he said it would cost an extra of £140.
Cheers.

Back