help crypts in trouble

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by chump54, 7 Jan 2009.

1. chump54

chump54 Member

Hi...

holes appearing in my crypts... is it crypt melt? they have been in there ages. just started today. and it's happening really fast.

DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg

what should i do?

cheers

Chris

2. UCBONES

UCBONES Newly Registered

The holes/affected patches look a little too uniformly round to me - I'd guess somethings been making a snack of them.

3. chump54

chump54 Member

i'm not sure they seem to start off as dark circular marks, then after a couple of hours it's a hole...

4. Nick16

Nick16 Member

have you got any snails or catfish in the tank? if so what kinds.

5. chump54

chump54 Member

pest rams horn snails (tiny little buggers) and otos... all been in there ages.

C

6. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

It COULD be the snails.

It could also be some kind of defficiency, but you'd need to speak to someone who knows about the scientific side of things for that.

7. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I would guess that that's melt. Have the leaves started to disintegrate by now?

If it was snails I wouldn't have expected the changes in colouration so quickly, however it could be that they are causing damage that the plant is then reacting to.

Have you changed any water parameters dramatically?

8. chump54

chump54 Member

no, no dramatic change in water params. I'm thinking that it is melt, i'll see what its like in the morning.

9. chump54

chump54 Member

so it was/is crypt melt most of the Cryptocoryne beckettii petchii has gone... possibly to return

10. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

IME they usually grow back pretty quickly. I hope your do too.

11. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Crypts can be sensitive to the most minor of changes. It could something as simple as your water supplier changing something.

Removing the affected leaves from as near the rhizome as possible and they should regenerate.

Good luck. I hate to see a poorly crypt.

12. Superman

Superman Member

For my newer layout in my tank (see journals), I had about 3-4 weeks of crypt melt over the tank. Each plant deciding to melt at a different time. Although now they've stabilised and new growth is sprouting through.

My tip would be for anyone growing crypts would be soon as they see a leaf or the steam to the leaf getting in back condition, remove it at the substrate immediately. If left it'll just rot away and you'll have to siphon it out at a later date.

Best thing like with all plants, is to remove any bad conditioned leaves before planting as it'll help in the long run.

13. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

Just as a measure of how sensitive they are. I recently added more flow into my tank via a Koralia1 and moved my filter intake at the same time.

This is the only change I have made to the tank and I noticed over the past few days that some of the crypts have started to melt. I can only assume that is down to the difference in flow they are experiencing now or better distribution of the CO2/nutrients within the tank ;)

AC