• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help crypts in trouble

chump54

Hi...

holes appearing in my crypts... is it crypt melt? they have been in there ages. just started today. and it's happening really fast.

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

what should i do?

cheers

Chris

It COULD be the snails.

It could also be some kind of defficiency, but you'd need to speak to someone who knows about the scientific side of things for that.

I would guess that that's melt. Have the leaves started to disintegrate by now?

If it was snails I wouldn't have expected the changes in colouration so quickly, however it could be that they are causing damage that the plant is then reacting to.

Have you changed any water parameters dramatically?

chump54 said:
so it was/is crypt melt most of the Cryptocoryne beckettii petchii has gone... possibly to return

IME they usually grow back pretty quickly. I hope your do too.

Crypts can be sensitive to the most minor of changes. It could something as simple as your water supplier changing something.

Removing the affected leaves from as near the rhizome as possible and they should regenerate.

Good luck. I hate to see a poorly crypt.

For my newer layout in my tank (see journals), I had about 3-4 weeks of crypt melt over the tank. Each plant deciding to melt at a different time. Although now they've stabilised and new growth is sprouting through.

My tip would be for anyone growing crypts would be soon as they see a leaf or the steam to the leaf getting in back condition, remove it at the substrate immediately. If left it'll just rot away and you'll have to siphon it out at a later date.

Best thing like with all plants, is to remove any bad conditioned leaves before planting as it'll help in the long run.

Just as a measure of how sensitive they are. I recently added more flow into my tank via a Koralia1 and moved my filter intake at the same time.

This is the only change I have made to the tank and I noticed over the past few days that some of the crypts have started to melt. I can only assume that is down to the difference in flow they are experiencing now or better distribution of the CO2/nutrients within the tank ;)

AC

Back