• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help, Help, Help!

oddn0ise

Hi,

Have just come home to a tank full of dead fish. Glowlights and Kitty Tetras all dead. Have just lifted 3 Corydoras out and after floating up side down for a while have now moved to the bottom of a bucket of fresh water.

My red shrimp all seem OK, there are now no snails on the glass, and my plants seem happy.

Not sure quite what to do next and then what to check for.

Yesterday I did a filter change after it had almost stopped running due to white filter mesh clogging. It all seemed to go OK and I replaced about 20% of the water at the same time. Also put on a new cylinder of CO2 at the same time.

Any suggestions on what to look for first?

changed a little of the media and cleaned it out.

I only changed about 20% of the water, yesterday. I can only think it's got something to do with the gas. Could have possibly been on all night, and just wondering whether the canister is actually filled with CO2?

I’d do a large water change - you can remove 80% and refill
Or remove 50%, refill, wait an hour or so to monitor, the do another 50% water change - this is overall ~75% new water

Remove any dead snails as these can foul a tank if they are of any size or significant number

The dead fish will likely have already released quite a lot of organics, hence the large water change

New CO2 cyclinder - I’d look there

Filter change? - thorough rinsing with treated tap water should be fine

This is an instance where I tend to wish for a test kit, so I can check nitrogen levels

Large water change and things seems stable now. Have dropped the water level and left things for the night.

It looks like I had opened the CO2 valve too much and it's been on all day. The Corys seem OK though.

Thanks for the help

Back