• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP!! I Cant tell if my German blue rams are M/F

tinny85

I recently bought two GBR was told they was both male,at first they got on with each other and my other fish, but recently one of them is being really aggressive to the other at first I thought it might be a territorial thing but after some research I'm not so sure I'm hearing alot about aggressive behaviour when spawning but I thought I had two male I've put two pics up any advice would be very appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_0475~2.JPG
    DSC_0475~2.JPG
    716.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0466~2.JPG
    DSC_0466~2.JPG
    705.5 KB · Views: 111
Hard to tell 100% but suspect you have 2 male's, assuming this is correct ..? One of the male's will seek dominance and peg out its territory, rams can be quite territorial.

One good way to try and sex them is by looking at the black spot on the side of the fish. Males tend to have iridescent spots on the outer edges of the spot, whilst females tend to have them more in the centre.
Even with this method sexing farm bred rams isn't 100% guaranteed.

Male.
20220724_161441.jpg

20220102_185033.jpg

Female.
20220121_184708.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you was thinking about getting two females for them to pair off would that calm the aggression down or make it worse
At one time I owned multiple ram pairs, I assumed it would be fine once they paired; that they would just keep to themselves, but nope. They started their own territorial gang fights (this was in a 180 Litre tank). As soon as one couple would see the other, they'd attack. Personally, I wouldn't ever get multiple ram pairs again because of this, unless I had an exceptionally big tank. Your mileage may vary.

I’d say two boys, just so you’re aware that Chinese algae eater shown in the picture with ram number one turns into a 12 inch very territorial fish. No idea why they get sold for community tanks!

Cheers
I can honestly say he's no trouble Ive got two of them that I've had from the beginning he is a very shy tho and keeps himself to himself my other one is a hole different story 🤣 swims all over my tank with the other fish

Back