• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help! I Damaged My Tank!

Mr Reflector

Seedling
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm not off to a great start!

I purchased a tank from a Maidenhead Aquatics store which they had previously been running as a display model etc.

I spent time today cleaning it all up but whilst doing so knocked the corner against my kitchen draining board and it has chipped the corner of the tank😩

Just wondering if you think from the pictures I've attached (1st with the cracked glass in and 2nd after I pulled it out) whether I need to take it to the dump before I even used it or whether it could still be used? I poured some water in and it didn't leak but worried if it was full (90L) whether the pressure would be too much and leak?

IMG_20201229_161659.jpg

IMG_20201229_161759.jpg

I purchased it on a whim not knowing if it would even be suitable for live aquascaping and keeping fish in it? Its got the sponge filter system etc all built in as you can see from the photo of it. Not sure if the lighting is suitable either?

IMG_20201212_142613.jpg

Screenshot_20201229_165403.jpg

IMG_20201211_175017.jpg

Any suggestions of what I should do would be much appreciated!

Thanks

That’s pretty unfortunate. Inclined to say it would be unwise to use the tank and you also have to consider the damage to your property should it fail.

You bought it discounted though and you still have a tidy looking Aqua One Inspire 60cm cabinet. It will fit a range of 60cm tanks on and has very good cabinet space thanks to its height.

Hasn’t it just chipped a sliver of glass off tho? Doesn’t look like it’s damaged the seal. I’d be inclined to smear abit of silicone on the inside of that corner and the outside

Yeah I think the seal might be ok but as Geoffrey says worried it could potentially flood my lounge if it isn't.

If I was to use some silicone on this tank which is the Aquamanta Nano 60 (90L) I'm wondering if the the lighting would be strong enough for good plant growth anyway?

If I was to get another tank, I do like the Oase Skylines but as I have this cabinet now wondering what tank you would recommend me getting that would fit that and would have decent lighting etc for aquascaping?

Thanks for your help

This is one of those things where it’s ultimately up to your judgment. Personally I couldn’t relax staring at a tank that could potentially blow out. However, @RudeDogg1 could be completely correct and you may be able to use it.

Given you bought it on a whim as it was discounted, slowing down the purchasing and having a think about what you want is probably a good idea. Look about the forum, there’s plenty of 60cm scapes to consider before making any further decisions.

now wondering what tank you would recommend me getting that would fit that and would have decent lighting etc for aquascaping?

This is extremely open ended and like anything budget dictates. If you keep the cabinet it’s a 60x40cm footprint. There’s plenty of mass produced tanks that would fit. Also the 60cm length allows for a lot of mass produced lights that would fit.

Leaking tanks are no fun
Even less so if they fail catastrophically

I do occasionally still use my chipped ADA 45F but don’t keep livestock in it and it’s a very small amount of water once the hardscape & substrate are in (and the chip is a very shallow corner chip that doesn’t reach near to any seals)

While your chip seems fairly benign (right now) it is a point of weakness and the chance that a deeper crack will develop/flare up from this damaged area is much greater than if it there had been no physical stress creating that chip
- do look at the glass thickness for the tank (is it the minimum or it is much thicker than the minimal requirement), then consider how “deep” this chip is compared to the glass thickness

If you’re a “lucky” person, then play the odds
With my history, I’d sell it on and buy that Oase Styleline
;)

GF has been running a couple of Oase Stylelines for several months now, with stock lighting and filters (he did consider changing out the filters for external canisters but I believe has not done so yet)

Yeah I think the seal might be ok but as Geoffrey says worried it could potentially flood my lounge if it isn't.
That's the thing, - it would probably be OK, but you would risk the cost and inconvenience of replacing your carpet if it fails, losing your livestock, and incurring the wrath of your other half. Is it worth the risk?
If you live alone and have a stone floor it could be. :)

I would save it and use it for something that doesn't need water. I've seen a few tanks let loos over the years. The mess and hart ake aren't worth the gamble for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Personally I couldn’t relax staring at a tank that could potentially blow out.
Absolutely, this is the same for me!

While your chip seems fairly benign (right now) it is a point of weakness and the chance that a deeper crack will develop/flare up from this damaged area is much greater than if it there had been no physical stress creating that chip
This is what I am worrying about!

I think I will air on the side of caution and hold off using it. Any suggestions on what I could use it for instead, otherwise I'll probably take it to the dump.

Re other 60cm set ups to go on that cabinet, are there any that people would highly recommend? I've noticed that the Oase Skyline tank is 70cm so wouldn't fit on the existing cabinet. I've also just seen the Aquascaper 600 which is 60cm but the depth of the cabinet is only 40cm so won't fit. 😔

Any recommendations of a 60cm aquascaping tank with decent lighting would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Back