• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help!! I think I might have some form of planaria or leech.

Keys_Tanks

About a couple of years ago when I started with my shrimp tank I saw this exact thing and as time went on must have died or become highly reduced amounts so I ruled them out. 2 years on I have found about 10 or possibly more of these worms.

Today I found my first dead shrimp with one of the worms that was yellow. now I know planaria take a hue of colour from the shrimp they kill . I first sighted them around 2 weeks ago but assumed the same as before.

I actually saw a dead shrimp and the worm having a go but I'm unsure if that's just because they are like my plecos in other tanks when fish die and they make easy work of cleaning up.

I've attached some snaps.

I've seen that planaria usually have a narrow like head this does not seem to be evident.

from what I've researched I could get a worm trap off Ebay for a fiver and put in some form of meat inside.

All the help I can get would be amazing!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

20220202_174048.jpg
20220130_144013.jpg
20220202_174048.jpg

It’s a Leech, whether it’s predatory of shrimp or an opportunistic feeder on a natural death you would need to keep an eye out for, looks like they spend more time in the substrate hunting what’s there, if that food source has run dry then this may force them to look elsewhere for nutrition.

:)

Hey @Jaseon looking further into the species you showed me. I deffo think its it. although as I keep on looking through on blogs. forums and more the more they are wiping out shrimp tanks.

Hey @Jaseon looking further into the species you showed me. I deffo think its it. although as I keep on looking through on blogs. forums and more the more they are wiping out shrimp tanks.

Yeah well i dunno. Im a little bit weary when it comes to anecdotal stuff when it comes to things like this.

Check these out, and the convo between the the two uploaders.

Back