• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help identify this moss

Many thanks for confirming the specie
Also for the hints on slow growth and how to spread it faster

Does the fonatnus attach to wood/rocks with time or it will always need the nylon threads to be kept?
Also, any help to make it spread faster? The christmas and weeping moss in the tank are growing crazely while this one doesn't grow much, if at all as you say

It will grow faster with higher light and Co2. Fert use is so low that you do not have to worry about it.

I do not know if trimming is a good method to encourage growth - I suspect it is - will wait for someone else to comment on that.

It does attach but very slowly. I'd just use nylon and leave it permanently tied as cotton thread will dissolve before the moss has attached.

a1Matt said:
It does attach but very slowly. I'd just use nylon and leave it permanently tied as cotton thread will dissolve before the moss has attached.
Fissidens Fontanus actually attaches pretty fast and spread along wood a very decent pace, I use cotton thread to attach it to wood and after 8 months the thread is still there lol Once I removed all the Fissidens from a piece of wood I scrapped the wood, after 3 months there was Fissidens all over it, looks like it only takes a tiny root attached to the wood for it to grow back.
In my shrimp tank where I am using it as a carpet, I have noticed it spreading along the substrate and rooting itself to the substrate and creeping along, but it grew about 1-2cm in the last 8 months or so. but it has grown 2-3cm in height during that time, so always best to redo the carpet every 3-4 months if you want more coverage.
I am considering redoing my shrimp tank and go for a 100% Fissidens coverage of the substrate, the shrimp keep it so clean that I don't have to worry about it.

LondonDragon said:
I use cotton thread to attach it to wood and after 8 months the thread is still there lol

That is where I am going wrong - cheap cotton! Mine disintegrates after a few weeks :lol: :lol:

Bit of a thread jack but aparantly Fissidens zippelianus does actually start to grow after about 6 months of being dormant.
(did some reading lasst night)

I grew mine emersed until I got it the size I wanted it, then put it in the tank.
That was only a couple of months ago and I have noticed no growth since then, ask me again in 4 months :lol:

2cm in 8 months :wideyed: This is sooo sloooow !!

I'll have to be patient. Thanks for all the hints. Never thought I could carpet it, but it should take years I imagine

About shrimps, I'm also surprised how they do keep a tank clean from any debris or decaying leaves on my nano

Many thanks for all these interesting info

Back