• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help identifying plant or algae..

tmiravent

Hello,
i've this in my aquarium, is this good or bad?
It doesn't seem armful but i don't know what it's.
mit0.jpg

Thanks!

Don't know what species it is, but a Utricularia spp. of carnivorous plant. Collection location would help narrow down its identity further.

Those little white round structures on the plant are traps that vacuum in small Daphnia, Cyclops etc. when activated.

Interesting plant to keep, probably not the best if your trying to breed expensive bee shrimp or egg-laying fish though, as it may manage to capture newly hatched shrimp/fry :).

Hello,
i didn't collect the plant.
I assume that appeared in my thank along with other plants (but i didn't detect it).
I can not know the source.
I don't know anyone that keeps this plant and the best way to keep it.
I have thousands of Red Shrimp in my tank, and maybe that's the food supply.
Thank's a lot!
tiago

Don't know what species it is, but a Utricularia spp. of carnivorous plant. Collection location would help narrow down its identity further.

Those little white round structures on the plant are traps that vacuum in small Daphnia, Cyclops etc. when activated.

Interesting plant to keep, probably not the best if your trying to breed expensive bee shrimp or egg-laying fish though, as it may manage to capture newly hatched shrimp/fry :).
Agreed, but could you post a wider picture of the plant? It may help in identifying it...

Hello,
the plant is really small size but it grows in very long hair lines.
ha9y.jpg

Above E. Tenellus bed.
ba0n.jpg

Along with a shrimp.
j0ro.jpg

The plant is in this system. E. Tenellus is down right. (you can't see it, Utricularia spp it's too small, took the other photos with macro lens)
zvg8.jpg

Thanks again!
from Portugal,
tiago

Utricularia gibba for sure, I've just spent a week removing ever ounce of it from a big planted tank, can over take things particularly mosses so can become tiresome, but easy to control unlike say clado..

Also think it unlikely that UtG would be able to take shrimplets ..

Utricularia gibba unfortunately sometimes comes along as tiny bits hidden in plants sold as "bunches". The types grown under water => Hyg. difformis, Egeria densa, Val. natans and Cabomba carolineana. It's really impossible to detect, since the tiniest fraction will survive and grow.
Really easy to grow..........but has the potential to become a serious PITA, because of tbe ability to regrow from "nothing".........funny plant, though:rolleyes:Mick.

Back