• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Identifying this algae

Jack Reilly

This algae is growing on my hair grass. I’m pulling this much out every few days. Any ideas ? I have no other algae issues and plants are thriving.

42010272-00EC-4174-AA84-BD87904BD29C.jpeg

Hi all,
Looks like <"Riccia fluitans">.

cheers Darrel
Holy crap you’re right. This thing acts like algae. How can it possibly be growing this fast ? I can’t keep on top of it and it gets tangled deep within all my plants. I’ve had loose Christmas moss and fissidens blow around my tank and grow in odd places but nothing like this!

At least that explains why I couldn’t find an algae that looked like it lol.

Last edited:
Hi all,
This thing acts like algae.
It is a quick grower, if it is the tank with the <"yellow Bucephalandra?"> I think it is a good sign, and I would expect them to show normal new growth.

Have a look at <"Rotala rotundifolia growth issues"> for some more detail on why the Riccia (a Liverwort) with a very thin thallus, and rapid potential growth rate, would show a quick response to the addition of non-mobile nutrients.

cheers Darrel

While ago i heard an Radio interview with a professional aqauscaper.. He was asked the nicest and worst plant to grow.. I don't remember his answer on the nicest.. But the worst was Ricia fluitans, for the very same reasons.. Once you have it, it about impossible to eradicate, simmilar to Lemna minor (Duckweed). :)

Tho impossible is a bit exaggerated, but it takes a while and some measures.

Back